Mixed bag from this week's InBox

Some of these may not "belong" here, but to avoid posting in too many places, I'm schlocking the rest of this week's work that I wanted to post in this thread - they were all shot in the city at least :twisted:

tn_DSC0075.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tn_DSC0133.jpg

tn_DSC0200.jpg

tn_DSC0247.jpg

tn_DSC0822.jpg

Hi Steve:

Your night shots are super! 8) as are the other ones. My favorite is Conveyor, I'm just drawn to it...I love the composition and the colors.
Very nice work, indeed!

Lisa said:
Hi Steve:

Your night shots are super! 8) as are the other ones. My favorite is Conveyor, I'm just drawn to it...I love the composition and the colors.
Very nice work, indeed!

Hey Lisa,

Thanks very much for the kind words. That shot you like is one of many in a series. Funny... I have a hard time sometimes getting past thinking some of my stuff (this series included) is a bit stupid, but I guess there's a lot of stupid art out there :D . I try to find more shots for that series, because I'm drawn to those types of shots too, for whatever reason.

Bottom line is, you've made my day with your observation :D

Steve:

You're sincerely welcome. I am always in awe of the beauty of night photography. I have tried and been unsuccessful in all but a few fireworks shots. I am drawn to photos such as your Conveyor because I like clean lines and angles.....it takes creativity and thought.

Lisa said:
Steve:

You're sincerely welcome. I am always in awe of the beauty of night photography. I have tried and been unsuccessful in all but a few fireworks shots. I am drawn to photos such as your Conveyor because I like clean lines and angles.....it takes creativity and thought.

Yes, well, I decided early on when I got the x - really the first week, that I wanted to do a lot of night work, because it's a cam made for it (and just about any other difficult shooting situation you can think of). I've stacked the deck in my favor by getting very fast prime glass, and almost all my shots are hand held - anything you see with a shutter speed from say 1/10th and up is hand held. That gives me the ability to try a WHOLE bunch of different stuff in one night. It's kinda like the old saw... "Excuse me, can you tell my how to get to Carnegie Hall?" 'Practice, practice, practice' :lol:

I'm one of the few people actually champing at the bit for standard daylight time and short days... that way I can get to some of the slightly shadier spots close to me and feel safe, because it's still close to evening rush hour. South beach is great, and I seem to keep finding new things, but I do want to branch out, and be safe at the same time.

BTW... in seeing your avatar... aren't your hands a wee bit small to be holding a dslr??? :p

Hi Gordon,

Master? Hmmmm... I can't seem to find that certificate in my file :twisted:

First, thanks very much for your kind words. At times, I will sound overly hard on myself, but trust me, it's light hearted. I am my own worst critic, but am SO much happier with my work now than back in my film days.

Funny, it's just hard at times to see where you're really at when your aim is to be different. Thing is, different doesn't always mean your work is good :roll: But obviously, being willing to share where I'm at each week is a good sign that I'm comfortable in my own photographic skin. My work may not be for everybody, but it's clear at this stage that there are those that think I'm on to something. That's more than enough for me!

Oh Lisa!

I almost forgot... after chewing on my index finger for a few weeks, I finally decided I'd scarred it up enough and went ahead today and ordered a Kenyon Labs KS-4 Gyro kit. That will indeed be an interesting tool in extending my abilities to shoot at night. I also called the very helpful people at Kirk Enterprises and they hooked me up with a bracket/QR system that will work great with it - that will keep me from having to rest the gyro on my chin all the time. This should be very interesting, and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your new equipment. As for my avitar, that little guy takes better pictures than I do :)

Please post more. :D

Latest threads

Top Bottom