MKIII going home to the mother ship

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by GBRandy, Aug 1, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Well, I give up. Either the camera is flawed or it is too smart for me to use correctly.

I have 3000 images on my box and every high speed sequence is riddled with OOF images.

The first example is here:
    http://www.tessfamily.com/1DMKIIIvs1DMKIIN/1DMKIIIvs1DMKIIN.html

I took it out last night on the boat and simple static images shot in sequence render several OOF shots. My MKIIn is tack sharp. Two weeks, no success, camera going home to canon.

I have read all the RobG stuff, and am painfully aware of the situation on another site, but I know several of you folks here bought an MKIII....you guys seeing anything like this?

Not all peaches and cream in Canonland...

2. Hey, you gave that camera your best. At least the OOF still had little or no noise! I'm glad the MKIIn is workig out for you, Randy. Some folks seem to be getting really good shots with the MKIII, while a significant amount of others are having focus problems. With you, I know it's the camera, not the photographer. Canon will get the bugs worked out, eventually.

3. Thanks for the update Randy. I've been wobbling in the breeze between D3 rumors and widespread reports of MkIII AF glitches. I've got a decision to make this fall and would sure appreciate hearing how your situation plays out. Sorry to hear about your problems with the camera.

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Mine is so far gone that I suspect a manufacturing defect. A trip to Canon repair would most likely correct the situation, but I have an authorized dealer return that I need to execute today or keep the camera.....after some deliberation I voted on the return...why have a repaired camera right out of the box?

My MKIIn is fine and I really do not need the high ISO until September / October for gymnastics...I'll pick up another one in 4 - 5 weeks.

Ahhh....the joys of early adapting.

5. Randy,
    I assume none of the latest firmware releases helped your focus issues?

6. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    yea...I have done all the homework...I have version 1.1.0...in fact I had installed within 60 minutes of release two nights ago......

[​IMG]

7. I figured as much. Doesn't hurt to ask!

8. MUY smart decision. No sense in holding onto a buggy camera when you have an option to return/replace.

FWIW, I enjoy reading about Canon stuff here on the Cafe. Thanks for posting your impressions.

JohnG

9. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks Mitch....I am still taking notes and I appreciate your input and suggestion.

Well John, I hope we have the Canon posting stuff settled (I hope)...I posted this only because there are issues on this side of the fence too...and this is a hot topic on all the Canon forums. So now even a Nikon guy has one mans assessment on the MKIII.

10. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Good luck randy! I think you made a wise choice. I have heard similar from others with the same update. Hope it smooths out

11. Probably best, sorry you had a problem.

Only one of the hazards of being an early adopter.

:cool::smile:

12. Sorry about the trouble, Randy. Maybe you can bring the MKIIn out to play when I see you in a couple of weeks.

13. Randy,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know how excited you were about this (it's always fun to have new gear!).

14. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    And just so you Guys & Gals know what all the fuss is about, here is a four shot sequence that sealed the deal for the return...

AF Servo is not right in #2 and the dog is just sitting there....I can not imagine how this thing could track a bird flying by...ha...not a chance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Randy how weird was it to lose the rear command dial? Man I don't think I could do it. After too many years of that being the main dial.

16. Sorry to hear that pal. There are some bodies out there behaving much like yours with those issues. Fingers crossed, mine has been pretty good so far.

Feel awful for you GBR. You tried exceptionally hard to make it work.

Aloha and talk soon.

17. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    The controls on the MKIII are closer to my D200 than the MKIIn...switching to the MKIII was way easier and more intuitive than the MKIIn. In fact it took me awhile to get my head wrapped around the controls on the MKIIn after a week of MKIII work.

I do have quite a bit of time into this as I really thought it was me not understanding the camera. I know way more than i thought I could in two weeks about the MKIII Anxiously awaiting a decent copy someday.

After a couple of walk around sessions with it yesterday it is apparent I either have no idea what I am doing or the camera is flawed...in an effort to stroke my own ego I decided I would send the camera back, defective or not I will declare it so!

18. Sorry to hear of your troubles with the Mk3, Randy. Those that aren't suffering the AF issues are just remarkable.

When you get a good one, it tracks flying birds just fine
    [​IMG]

And you know AI Servo is really intended for tracking moving subjects, but even still your #2 should be in focus. These were with a properly working Mk3 using AI Servo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    The 1DIII got panned badly in Digital photography pro in the UK, they liked the camera but gave it 3 out of 5 for performance.

They stated 3 times in breakouts from three different "pro" photographers about the bad focus consistency.

Its not looking rosey for the 1DIII atm...

20. randy,

Sorry to here about your trouble......

I really have a hard time taking any out of focus images with this camera......

GenoP