ML-3 (not ML-L3) IR Remote

I have a shoot with a remote camera lined up, if I use the ML-3, is the direction in which the receiver points, absolutely crucial? Any idea of the acceptance angle of the receiver module?

Because the camera will be suspended by a cable, so the receiver might point in different directions, depending on the wind speed....lens however will point straight down with any luck.

8 metre range? Outdoors in sunlight - worse? Outdoors under floodlighting?

I have a shoot with a remote camera lined up, if I use the ML-3, is the direction in which the receiver points, absolutely crucial? Any idea of the acceptance angle of the receiver module?

Because the camera will be suspended by a cable, so the receiver might point in different directions, depending on the wind speed....lens however will point straight down with any luck.

8 metre range? Outdoors in sunlight - worse? Outdoors under floodlighting?

Which camera?

The versatile failsafe way would be to use a radio trigger. Some flash radio triggers can also trigger the shutter. These are specific to the camera connector.

My preference is the Phottix Plato radio shutter trigger on Ebay.
Enter your camera model to search for it, for example enter Plato D90.
Price is around $45 US. The vendor is in Hong Kong, and it will take a couple of weeks, but they are very reliable, and the trigger is simply superb.

My Phottox Plato will reliably trigger my D300 at up to 600 feet, in any direction. Obstacles the block infrared are little issue for radio.

(Plato is a newer mode than Cleon, and is 2.4GHz, and uses AAA batteries)

Here is example of what I mean, this one is for a D300

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plato-Wireless-Remote-N8-Nikon-D200-D300-D700-D3x-/230507057964?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item35ab4a932c

See the model comparison midpage, and see the instructional video near page bottom.

Real Name
Tony Admana
Which camera?

The versatile failsafe way would be to use a radio trigger. Some flash radio triggers can also trigger the shutter. These are specific to the camera connector.

My preference is the Phottix Plato radio shutter trigger on Ebay.
Enter your camera model to search for it, for example enter Plato D90.
Price is around $45 US. The vendor is in Hong Kong, and it will take a couple of weeks, but they are very reliable, and the trigger is simply superb.

My Phottox Plato will reliably trigger my D300 at up to 600 feet, in any direction. Obstacles the block infrared are little issue for radio.

(Plato is a newer mode than Cleon, and is 2.4GHz, and uses AAA batteries)

Here is example of what I mean, this one is for a D300

http://cgi.ebay.com/Plato-Wireless-Remote-N8-Nikon-D200-D300-D700-D3x-/230507057964?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item35ab4a932c

See the model comparison midpage, and see the instructional video near page bottom.

I agree with Master WayneF, another option is the Yongnuo RF-603.

http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-Wireless-Trigger-Shutter-Tranceiver/dp/B004YTCNJY/ref=pd_cp_p_1

Which camera? I have a choice of D70s (for which I have the little ML-L3, and the cable remote - now if there was a long extension cord for the cable.....), or D1x, for remote use.

I had purchased a Flashwaves III from Amazon, via a friend (since Amazon won't ship it to Japan). Unfortunately it hasn't shown up yet. There is an ML-3 set available locally, or I could even rent one.

The advantage of the ML-3 is beam interrupt. However I don't see a use for that in this scenario. But overall, I agree that radio triggers are preferable.

I can source a cheap one here for maybe triple the price of an ebay-offered model. Hmm

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom