1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

ML-L3 or MC-DC1 for D80?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by YEKCIM, Sep 4, 2008.

1. YEKCIM

YEKCIM

Jul 27, 2007
    Alabama
    Looking at a remote for my D80. The advantage of the ML-L3 would be that it is wireless *and* would work with either the D80 or D50. What are the advantages, if any, to the MC-DC1?

TIA,

Ed

2. ML-L3, as you've already noted, is wireless. A big plus if you want to be in the photo. The main disadvantage is that it needs line of sight since it's IR so it's not as reliable as a wired remote.

Personally, I'd go with the wireless ML-L3.

3. The main problem with the ML-L3 is that you need to hold it in front of the camera in order for it to work. If you're in the picture, that's no problem. But if you're behind the lens, it's problematic.

I'd get the ML-L3 (since it's inexpensive) and see if it meets your needs first.

4. APandya

APandya

Jul 2, 2008
    NJ
    depends on your needs.

As mentioned earlier, you really need to be in front, or on side of the d80 in order to get the wireless to trigger. This is annoying when shooting fireworks, product etc. Somes I leave the 80 outdoors and try to capture wild life but can't get trigger because I am 5-10ft behind the camera.

5. YEKCIM

YEKCIM

Jul 27, 2007
    Alabama
    Thanks, all. I think I'll go for the MC-DC1.

~Ed

6. vinman

vinman

Nov 15, 2006
    Upstate SC
    The ML-3 won't work? My only gripe with it is that the line of sight is VERY precise. There's not a lot of lateral flexibility. That, and the range is pretty limited (the 25ft spec'd outside stretches it's ability). Then again, if the D80 doesn't have the pin-out that the ML-3 uses, it's a moot point. I use mine a lot (D200/D700) in spite of it's limitations.

Oh, and I imagine this holds true with the ML-L3, as well - it does work for pictures of yourself, BUT since the line of sight is so narrow, the picture will show you aiming the remote at the camera. I took a bunch of family shots this past weekend, and ended up using the self timer - though the ones with me in the picture holding the remote are by far the funniest :) 

7. I remember seeing a mirror that rubber-bands to the lens and allows line-of-site for the ML-L3... this was awhile back when I was using an ML-L3 for Macro on my D50, but I can't seem to find it now... it was a $5 mirror with little tabs and a circular contour allowing it to be attached to a lens with rubber-bands... a pretty simple solution to the problem.

There are also extremely inexpensive third-party wired and wireless radio remotes on eBay... seems like one of those would be my choice over the ML-3 or MC-DC1.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.