1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mmm...yummy!

Discussion in 'People' started by tlong, Jul 23, 2008.

1. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    I took my camera with my newly acquired $90 nifty fifty (from lisantica...thanks Lisa!) to a restaurant for lunch today. We sat in the booth nearest the door to get some nice filtered light. I am enjoying playing with some B&W conversions right now...Let me know what you think.

1. Ben eating spaghetti...it's not easy being 5!
    337472792_nGoC7-L.

2. He talked me into letting him get his very own piece of cheesecake for the first time ever....
    337472017_UtFku-L.

3. Emma decided on a chocolate chip cookie...
    337472137_WUBut-L.

2. cute shots
    i must use my nifty-fifty more
    you did well here

thanks for sharing

3. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Nice shots, I like the b&ws.

4. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    So Cute! Love The Last Expression!!

5. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    Hi guys. I appreciate the comments. She does look like she got caught eating a cookie she wasn't supposed to have, doesn't she...she actually WAS allowed though!

6. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Tracey

I REALLY like your b/w conversion - would you mind sharing your method?

Thanks!
    - Love the expression and thought going into the spaghetti eating in #1

7. You need to feed that boy more often. He looks ravenous. :smile:

8. tlong

tlong

May 25, 2008
    Southeast, USA
    He's a growing boy, Gordon :)  You should see just a few frames earlier where he was pouting, because he did not want spaghetti or pizza...sure looks like he's enjoying it to me!

Leah...I don't really know what I am doing as far as B&W conversions. I never could get the channel mixer method to look right, so I was really pleased when CS3 was announced with a tool! I duplicated the bottom layer and changed the blend mode to soft light. Then, I added a B&W adjustment layer using a green filter. Then, I lower the opacity of the soft light layer until I like it. I usually do a pass of USM at 20, 60, 4. I'm still experimenting :) 

9. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Tracey

Thank you very much! I really like your experiment! :) 

10. You did great with the nifty-fifty. Love your B&W conversions.

11. These are excellent B&W.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.