Model Railroad, a month in the making

I started working on this little 2 square foot area about a month ago. Flannigan Furniture Co. is on my HO scale (1:87) model railroad, right next to Snake Eye Bennetts Scrap and Salvage. Structures like this come in a kit that have to be painted, the mortar applied between the bricks (that takes the longest of any one job)
132951471.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

then all the parts are assembled, hopefully very square :smile:
I drilled holes for the exterior lights over the loading dock and built an interior room to be positioned at the open door...
133590639.jpg

the building is empty inside and ya gotta have something there!
The 'concrete' parking area is made of a piece of styrene, which was simple to do but the wooden fence is scratch built of1x8 foot scale lumber which is 'weathered' in a solution of india ink and alcohol.
133590640.jpg

for that matter the entire building has to be 'aged' with different colored chalks most evident, in these shots, on the loading dock and 'concrete' base of the sturcture.
The grass is a special type material that is applied with a static electric device called a GrassMaster.
The static charge makes the grass stand up more naturally..
133653147.jpg

A board by board grade crossing was built so that vehicles could cross the track without bouncing their tiny drivers around too much..
133753292.jpg

So it's almost finished and just in time for Southern Railways switch engine to come do its job and spot that boxcar for unloading.
133753204.jpg

I think they're getting barrels of nuts and bolts this time, but I'm not sure. I just build them, they have to operate their business. I'm a busy man, I have a railroad to run... :tongue:

Jarrell

Thank you, Mary. The exhaust smoke from the engine is the only Photoshopped part of the scene. While there are scale locomotives that will emit a type of 'smoke', most modelers don't like it because of the residue from the smoke that collects on the rail head. The model gets its power from direct current in the rails and it doesn't take long for the residue to build up and start causing problems. My 'layout' as we call model railroads, has about 85 feet of mainline track that has to be hand cleaned periodically to ensure good operation so anything we can do, or not do, to help is a plus.
Jarrell

Wow, this is amazingly detailed. And I see you use Southern Railway trains...which is how it should be! How do you get the engine to send up steam?

That is wonderful. It seems to be a great amount of work but the results are unbelievable. Very nice photography too.

Fan-bloody-tastic. Incredible work. I wish I had the patience + skill for something like this.

Hat off to ya.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom