Model Railroading

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Jarrell, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Hello everyone. I'm still working on my HO scale model railroad and thought I'd share two or three photos from it.
    The first one is of a GP-9 diesel being brought into the engine house for maintainence.
    101705633.jpg
    Next is a model of a H16-44, the prototype was built by Fairbanks Morse, pulling a local freight.
    102227200.jpg
    An 0-8-0 steam switch engine backs a railcar from the turntable into the car shop for repairs.
    102399944.jpg
    and last is a Baldwin 2-8-0 steam engine with train in tow..
    [​IMG]
    The first two models of diesel engines are from the 'transition' era of railroading when the roads were switching over to diesel electric and away from the high maintainence steam engines.
    The steam models are of engines produced in the late 1800's, early 1900's. 'Rocks' in the pictures are made of lightweight hydrocal, a type of plaster.
    The board fence in the second shot are coffee stirrers from Starbucks. The mortar lines in the brick buildings in the third shot have to be done by hand.
    I mostly use a Sigma 15-30mm lens for this type photography and rarely use more than on strobe. Usually the lens is stopped down to about f/29 or so. The last shot is a 4 sec. time exposure. Hope you enjoy seeing the photos as much as I do when I shoot them.
    Jarrell

2. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Looks like Model RR mag material to me!

3. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Hi Mark.
    I think I will submit one to see if it'll get into the 'Trackside Photo's' section, can't hurt.
    Which would you send in?
    Jarrell

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Lovely models Jarrell, they look so real
    My favourite is no2

5. If you send any in to Model Railroader, I would send the first. It has a sense of realism that I think the editors would appreciate. All are great and I enjoyed looking at them, but #1 just has that special something!

6. That is a great hobby!

I really like the 1st one, the lighting and the characters add to it's realism for me.

Great setup and pictures!!

7. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Jerrell, obviously this is a labor of love for you because it shows in every detail. What a great talent you have! Thank you for sharing both of your passions with us.

8. Definitely magazine material. Excellent model and excellent photos!

9. Jarrell,
    how nice of you to post this thread
    the images are STELLAR
    they MUST be published

i'm in awe of them, quite frankly
    i can't wait to show them to my friend who is VERY MUCH INTO model railroading as well

i'll have to take some pictures of his backyard "G" gauge setup

thanks for sharing, jarrell

10. Jarrell, the level of detail and accuracy is amazing. It must take incredible patience and attention to detail to get everything looking near perfection. My compliments.

11. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Wonderful setup. Your model work is terrific as is your photo work.

12. Actually, the more I think about it, #1 would make a great shot to submit for Model Railroader's annual photo contest.

13. Jarell, as a model train enthusiast I am awestruck by both the quality of your models and the super photographs.

When my son was young we had a 15x25 ft layout. We had crafted the platforms from scratch and as a result he became proficient in the use of power and hand tools and working with electronics. As the years passed we crafted increasingly more complex scenery and layouts.

When he graduated from Harvard Law School, got married and moved into a one bedroom condo in NYC, I finally dismantled the layout. I recently gave the hardware to my brother-in-law who is starting his layout again now that his youngest is close to graduating from MIT.

14. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    I like them all really. maybe send in the last one??

15. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I have a hard time picking a favorite, that's why I keep shooting. Usually my 'favorite' is the last one I shot.. :smile:
    Thanks for your kind words!
    Jarrell

I also like that one because of the 'men' in the picture that gives the image more sense of scale.
    Jarrell

Yes, see my answer above.
    Jarrell

The more I get into the hobby the more I realize it's all about the details. Otherwise it's just trains going round and round.
    Thank you for your input!
    Jarrell

Thank you, I try hard and sometimes I come up with something a little out of the ordinary.
    Jarrell

G scale looks like it would be fun and more... more carefree. Gosh, you could use REAL rocks instead of having to make them all with plaster. And REAL water under bridges. One day I've gotta try that scale.
    Jarrell

Thanks Rich. Sometimes the patience wears thin and that's the best time to lock the door to the room and go fishing. :biggrin:
    Jarrell

Hmmm... now there's some tough competition! :smile:
    Jarrell

It's odd how this hobby works. Grown men are usually the bed rock of it and they get their very interested sons into it. Then later the son gets more interested in cars and girls, not necessarily in that order, and is lost to the hobby for a decade or two. But when those sons have sons and a place of their own, the cycle starts all over again.
    About a year ago I read an article about a superb layout that took up the entire second floor of some building on the MIT campus. I'm told the electronics alone is something to behold.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, I really appreciate it!
    Jarrell

16. what you've done is is FAR MORE IMPRESSIVE than can be appreciated with these excellent images

i really wish i could see this, in person

17. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Greg, I estimate the layout is only about 20 to 30 percent completed. That leaves many years of work to be done. 'Off camera', behind the scene and just out of sight it a room of still raw benchwork and areas where even I don't have a clear idea of how it will ultimately look. Model railroad photography reminds me of the movie business somewhat. If we saw the number of people standing all around the scene, just out of camera view, the illusion would be destroyed. When I photograph scenes on my layout I have to be careful not to show those areas that are still blank, unlandscaped plaster cloth and 2x4 unpainted lumber.. :biggrin:
    Thanks,
    Jarrell

18. your analogy to movie making is quite accurate
    i imagine that lining up the shot takes a long time... making these images as impressive as the work itself

19. Thanks for the heads up on the MIT layout. I found their web site from Google.

http://tmrc.mit.edu/

There are are number of videos and some shots of the electronics, the main purpose of the club.

20. That is absolutely awesome. I love your photos, you've really made those models come to life! I hope my dad and I can get going on our table again. Its been quite some time since we've worked on ours. Can you share any tips to a newbie? or suggest any good model railroad forum?