1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Model Shoot Pricing Help

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by ShadowForce, May 21, 2007.

1. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Good evening. I was asked at a soccer game this past weekend if I'd be willing to take some shots of one of the mom's 23 year old son. Her son apparently was interested in modeling several years back and would like to get back into it.

She asked me what I would charge and I really have no idea what to tell her. I told her I'd get back to her this week. Can anyone give me advice as to what I should be charging? This would be my first paid job. Along with price, any advice regarding number of wardrobe changes, etc. will be extremely helpful.

Thanks for your help!

2. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Just curious if you think I should post this over in the portrait forum?

3. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

Charge $50 per hour, 3 or 4 wardrobe changes should be good.

You need to know, what type of shots they want, and what you are willing to provide.

Head, portrait, Half body, full Body. Sitting, standing etc.

Also, you should consider, meeting the person in advance, how is his complexion.
    Sometimes male models, use some flesh toned makeup, so there are no bright spots, reflections.
    Just some information, we hope this helps.

4. I think this is the right forum. You've just posed a difficult question.

The price for a portrait session can vary all over the map. It depends on the location, number of poses, deliverables, and the premium you command for your skill.

I didn't find many portraits in your SmugMug gallery... just 3 of them, taken last August... so it's hard to judge your interest much less your skill. If it's a field of interest and you're just starting out, you might ask for a token fee and take your reward from doing the project. $99 for a loccation shoot, and 8x10s of 4 poses would be a good deal for a client and a new portrait artist.

5. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    photoshooter, thanks for the great advice!

6. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Frank,

Thanks very much. Exactly the type of advice I was seeking.

By the way, once I get my internet service restored at the house, I'll post some recent shots from a couple of portrait sessions. I'd really value your input.

Long story but it's been almost traumatic dealing with Time Warner trying to get my internet problem fixed. They finally got out to the house today and then shared that it was a "outside line" problem and would have to reschedule for another day!

7. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Well, after 2 weeks of either no access or extremely limited access to the internet, I think I've finally solved (knock on wood) the problem here at home.

Anyway, here's a couple of pictures from my SmugMug site from a recent visit to my studio. On all these photos, all I've done is make some minor corrections to exposure and cropped them to 5x7. I've not done any sharpening, etc.

If you go to the site, you can see several more from the same set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2007
  8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    The url you linked to has a pound sign (#) in it, and that makes this a 'non-regular' url. The # sign is interpreted by webservers meaning that instructions to a dynamic page follow. In this case the URL loads a smugmug page with the image you want in it, not the image itself. To see the image, use this url:

http://shadowforce.smugmug.com/photos/159240956-O.jpg

If you enclose that url with [​IMG]

9. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Thanks Chris - Works like a champ!

10. Bob, well done! Care to share any specifics (brand of lights, how many, softboxes or umbrellas, etc....)?

John

11. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    John,

Thanks for the kind words. I use Elinchrom BX400's for my lights.

For the shot with the white dress, I used 2 lights. If memory serves, I was shooting at 160/sec at F4. Main light was shooting through a translucent umbrella. Fill light was bounced off a silver umbrella.

For the 3 other portraits, I used just one light for the main (shoot through umbrella) and used a translucent reflector for fill. All were at 160/sec at F4.

I used a hair light that probably metered at about f2.8. It was underpowered but we had just installed it and I didn't really mess around with it that night.

I used my D200 and my 85mm f1.4 lens.

I'm going to be experimenting more and more with just one powered light source and use a reflector for fill.

12. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    John,

Thanks for sharing. That helps quite a bit.

13. darn it!

I had a lot written out but it all got lost. =(

Shadowforce, and I'm being very short since I lost what i was writing over the past 20 min about your pics and the pricing issue.

It boiled down to how you lit the model, which you did a pretty cool job with it's just that I like to see something with a little fill in the shadows. It could be a stage I'm going though.

Also, in your second pic you could try and bring down a few of those hot spots and just clean up her face a little more. Not that it's bad now - it's not, it's just that with another 1-4 min of work you can really bring that picture out.

like this,
    [​IMG]

not that what I did was great, I'm just bored and had a little freetime before bed.

Just a lot of rubber stamping, some curves, cropping, and some patch tool.

also, I'd look at your cropping with her in the dress... it looks a little strange sans her feet.

anyway, I'm going to be looking at my pillow!

also, just to comment on the reason for your post... charge whatever would make you get off your duff and do the job. This could be $20 and drinks, or it could be a few hundred an hour plus expenses. It's really up to you and what you want to get out of it. I do most of my work for free, but that's just where I'm at right now and I don't feel my work is good enough to charge for - yet.

Plus it's way too much fun to meet new people and try new things!

*edit edit edit*
    ok, so I meant your first pic but I should have used the second one as an example, I guess I'm more tired than I thought!

14. ShadowForce

ShadowForce

Mar 26, 2006
    Dayton, OH
    Andrew,

Thanks for the advice! I do need to take some more time to clean up the pic. I'm going to ask her for 2 or 3 of her favorites and then tidy them up a bit prior to printing them.

15. [thumbs up]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.