Model Shoot (Sneak Peek)

I had the pleasure of working with two amazing models today. I should add, very patient amazing models. This was my first model shoot, so please let me know what you think - you guys know I'm thick skinned so let it rip.

I have 600 images to PP :frown: These two caught my eye.

First up Kasia Sweeny
442886363_919e7c4b73_b.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Second up Jodie Cheng
View attachment 87948

Last edited by a moderator:
I like #1 Fred. Good conversion, sharp, pretty model & I like the crop.

The second, I just can't put my finger on it but it doesnt work for me.

Fred,

First, congrats on your first model shoot!

1. Nice technically and I also like the pose and the B&W conversion

2. Agree with Roy that something is off. For me the hands look soft, don't know if you shot this with too shallow a DOF. Background is also a bit distracting.

Fred, the first image kicks butt, way to go. I would like the second one better as a horizontal with the crop just above her knee. Your B&W conversion is first rate.

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
Wow! I'm impressed. This is much better than my first try at this stuff and better than what many are getting after years of trying.

Not much to pick on in the first one, but I would like to see it in color just out of curiosity. Excellent detail on the black jacket.

The second one starts to fall apart under her left knee. Nits: OOF, awkward pose, foot cut off... oh and since you're going to be doing more of this I figure I should plant the seed of self-loathing now and warn you about twisted straps. They are the bane of model photographers, lying in wait to inflict no end of suffering and bringing forth loud cursing and banging heads against walls.

Welcome to the club...

Looking good Fred!! I'm really digging #1, but as others have mentioned, there's something about #2. It looks like the focus is on the bow on her top, and everything else is soft and slightly OOF. Looks like you saved for web, so there's no exif info... What were your settings when these were shot?

I really like the look of the first one. Maybe lessen or even clone out those little ripples of skin under her eyes.

The second one doesn't work for me - if she did her own makeup, she's using a foundation from summer. It's too dark, esp on the forehead. It doesn't match her neck and definitely doesn't match her upper body skin. When doing shots which expose so much skin, getting the foundation colour right is imperative. Maybe touch up the dark spots on her chin. I agree with the others. Her expression doesn't help the pic, and hands being OOF.... I like the pose you've put her in, and your lighting.

Fred, I've been eagerly awaiting some pics from your first model shoot.

The first one does not disappoint. I think the second one could use a bump in contrast and exposure. I assume you shot these in raw.

Keep posting them.

Fred......I think these both are excellent without the qualification of saying "for a first time". The fact that it *was* your first time actually makes them very, very impressive.

I wish I could offer more, but my thoughts have been covered already by others. I have no issues whatsoever with the first other than doing as Sandi suggests and doing a duplicate layer, healing the lines under her eye and then reducing opacity to bring them back just enough to be believable, but not so noticeable. That's what I would do if it were my photo....YMMV depending personal taste.

My only minor nits with the second were already summed up by Woody and Sandi so no point rehashing them.

You have the eye and a great natural ability and it shows in these.

Looking forward to seeing more from the shoot.

Great work......see it wasn't so hard or scary after all was it?:wink:

North Yorkshire born and bred in Edinburgh!!!
Fred, I know nothing about studio photography... but i know i love #1.....!!!

Great work here...........

#2.......... read the "experts" comments and agree with them! Well........ what else do you want me to say???????? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

G

Fred,

First one is perfect--what else can be said.

The second one: I think what is wrong is tied up in the way she's posed (parallel to the film plane). If she's angled to the camera I think a lot of the other criticisms go away. Where I'm at right now is realizing how much of an impact posing plays in getting a dramatic shot of a model. For proof, see your first image! :biggrin:

I'm trying to cram as much learning about posing in as I can right now as I prepare for a few upcoming weddings. One book that I've found helpful so far (Disclaimer: I've only read into the second chapter so far--but it's already been insightful in what not to do when posing a model) is this book. There may be better books out there (others can comment), but it seems good so far--and, one of the things he points out to avoid doing in a pose (right in chapter one) is to avoid posing a model "flat" to the camera (even worse if the shoulders and spine form an upright "cross"--being perpendicular.

I honestly think that this is what everyone is trying to get at but just can't quite put their "fingers" on it.

Just my thoughts. Good job otherwise. Keep up the good work.

Sean

For a first shoot, these are excellent. #2 could be improved by tight cropping - others have already covered the reasons why. Great job!

I like #1 Fred. Good conversion, sharp, pretty model & I like the crop.

The second, I just can't put my finger on it but it doesnt work for me.

Thanks Roy. I am going to mess with the PP some more.

Fred,

First, congrats on your first model shoot!

1. Nice technically and I also like the pose and the B&W conversion

2. Agree with Roy that something is off. For me the hands look soft, don't know if you shot this with too shallow a DOF. Background is also a bit distracting.

Thanks Samer. I am going to see what I can do with the second shot.

Fred, the first image kicks butt, way to go. I would like the second one better as a horizontal with the crop just above her knee. Your B&W conversion is first rate.

Thank you Gordon. I am going to try your suggestion tonight.

Wow! I'm impressed. This is much better than my first try at this stuff and better than what many are getting after years of trying.

Not much to pick on in the first one, but I would like to see it in color just out of curiosity. Excellent detail on the black jacket.

The second one starts to fall apart under her left knee. Nits: OOF, awkward pose, foot cut off... oh and since you're going to be doing more of this I figure I should plant the seed of self-loathing now and warn you about twisted straps. They are the bane of model photographers, lying in wait to inflict no end of suffering and bringing forth loud cursing and banging heads against walls.

Welcome to the club...

Thanks Woody. You have planted the seed! I am not going to forget about the straps. Those blasted stray hairs got me too! What a pain in the butt to clean up.

Looking good Fred!! I'm really digging #1, but as others have mentioned, there's something about #2. It looks like the focus is on the bow on her top, and everything else is soft and slightly OOF. Looks like you saved for web, so there's no exif info... What were your settings when these were shot?

Thanks Keith. I am going to try a re-edit on 2, but I may have to deep six it in the end. Shot at f4 -1/200 -ISO400.

I really like the look of the first one. Maybe lessen or even clone out those little ripples of skin under her eyes.

The second one doesn't work for me - if she did her own makeup, she's using a foundation from summer. It's too dark, esp on the forehead. It doesn't match her neck and definitely doesn't match her upper body skin. When doing shots which expose so much skin, getting the foundation colour right is imperative. Maybe touch up the dark spots on her chin. I agree with the others. Her expression doesn't help the pic, and hands being OOF.... I like the pose you've put her in, and your lighting.

Thank you so much Sandi. I really appreciate your excellent comments, and I am taking them to heart. There were so many details that I never even thought of going in to the shoot.

Just for starters Fred - get rid of that 400 ISO... With the studio lights, you should be able to shoot at the lowest ISO setting that your camera allows. What power were you lights at if you're shooting at F4? You may have had the light power down too low, shooting at such a large aperture. Most of the stuff I've seen for studio shoots, have been shot at f/8 and higher, at ISO 100 or 200 depending on camera.

The shots in my post were taken at ISO 200, between f/8 - f/10, 1/250th...

Just for starters Fred - get rid of that 400 ISO... With the studio lights, you should be able to shoot at the lowest ISO setting that your camera allows. What power were you lights at if you're shooting at F4? You may have had the light power down too low, shooting at such a large aperture. Most of the stuff I've seen for studio shoots, have been shot at f/8 and higher, at ISO 100 or 200 depending on camera.

The shots in my post were taken at ISO 200, between f/8 - f/10, 1/250th...

Sorry Keith I should have included that the series was shot using only window light. I was away from my lights in another part of the building that had two walls of 7' windows. When I did my test shots the day before, it was sunny. The day of the shoot there was no sun, thus ISO 400. I could have opened the 85mm up to 1.8 or 1.4, but I still don't have a comfort level with the 85mm past like 2.8. One thing that is killer about my little D50 is how great it shoots @ ISO400 and even 800. I feel better going to ISO400 than I do going to f1.8 with the 85mm. I get shots with my 85 that knock my socks off - some days the results are poor and I think about selling it. My comfort lens is still my 50mm 1.8 - It feels like a pair of old comfortable Jeans. I used the 50mm a lot during the shoot.

Fred, I've been eagerly awaiting some pics from your first model shoot.

The first one does not disappoint. I think the second one could use a bump in contrast and exposure. I assume you shot these in raw.

Keep posting them.

Thanks Mitchell. Yes, shot in RAW. I am going to edit the image and try your suggestions. More to come. :smile:

I really like the first as well. I think the nit picking on the second would be nil with a different background. :wink:

Thanks Brian. The BG did not work out the way I had envisioned it though I may be able to fix it up a bit in PP - we'll see what I come up with.

Fred......I think these both are excellent without the qualification of saying "for a first time". The fact that it *was* your first time actually makes them very, very impressive.

I wish I could offer more, but my thoughts have been covered already by others. I have no issues whatsoever with the first other than doing as Sandi suggests and doing a duplicate layer, healing the lines under her eye and then reducing opacity to bring them back just enough to be believable, but not so noticeable. That's what I would do if it were my photo....YMMV depending personal taste.

My only minor nits with the second were already summed up by Woody and Sandi so no point rehashing them.

You have the eye and a great natural ability and it shows in these.

Looking forward to seeing more from the shoot.

Great work......see it wasn't so hard or scary after all was it?:wink:

Thanks for all your help and encouragement Stuart. I read your last PM just before I left for the shoot. I kept telling myself to slow down as you suggested. Unfortunately, I had a problem right away, as something was broadcasting on the same frequency as my AB radio triggers - my lights were flashing out of control and changing the channels did not help. I looked up and saw the hair, mua, and two models looking at me like "is the shoot over". I was a bit flustered, but I forced a smile and said something like "plan B" as I connected the DREADED cable to my camera. If you are reading this, and use radio transmitters, BRING THE CABLE JUST IN CASE! So I had to shoot with the cable......very annoying, but it got the job done. More images coming soon. :smile:

Sorry Keith I should have included that the series was shot using only window light. I was away from my lights in another part of the building that had two walls of 7' windows. When I did my test shots the day before, it was sunny. The day of the shoot there was no sun, thus ISO 400. I could have opened the 85mm up to 1.8 or 1.4, but I still don't have a comfort level with the 85mm past like 2.8. One thing that is killer about my little D50 is how great it shoots @ ISO400 and even 800. I feel better going to ISO400 than I do going to f1.8 with the 85mm. I get shots with my 85 that knock my socks off - some days the results are poor and I think about selling it. My comfort lens is still my 50mm 1.8 - It feels like a pair of old comfortable Jeans. I used the 50mm a lot during the shoot.

Ahhhhhh haaaaaaaaa... Now that makes a bit more sense!! :biggrin: Just a suggestion - if you've got tools that you're comfortable with, by all means use them to get the shots you need first. Once you get those shots out of the way, take out the tools you wouldn't typically use and experiment - I'm sure the model wouldn't mind you experimenting a little - especially if she could benefit from your experimentation. Just my $.02.

Latest threads

Top Bottom