Model shoots ....

I've been meaning to ask for some time now about model shoots. I see a lot of shoots with models posted here (People/Portraiture thread) and I have always wanted to know: why are you shooting models whom you pay? I know they use your shots to build their portfolio, so they can get jobs having photographers shoot their pictures ... which they then put in their portfolio .... So what's the actual business function of all those model shoots? Are business hiring you to take random shots of gorgeous people in strange locations to hang in The Gap or what? Is there really a huge market for those shots, or is it a microcosm of a financial ecosystem driven by Nikon to sell us all more gear? :)

I've also thought about this question actually. In my personal experience, I have shot a few headshots for friends or friends of friends who had a genuine need for 8 by 10 s in order to try to book acting work. There was no money exchange as I did this because I enjoy taking people pictures. At least one person did actually get work using headshots that I took. As far as paying for models, personally I wouldn't do it.

Considering the amount of responses, I think you said something like 'the emperor wears no clothes'.:biggrin::eek:

That's the feeling I was getting, Rob! I wasn't trying to say that - I was genuinely interested in learning more about the professional shooters.

It really depends upon your level and reputation as a photographer. When I shoot models, I have the following choices:

- Models who are starting out, and looking for a photographer to help them build a portfolio - this is a TFP (Time for Pictures) basis, as we both get a learning experience
- Models who want to work a particular theme with me, after I make a request for models on somewhere like ModelMayhem.com - again, TFP
- Professional/experienced models who make their living from modeling - here I would have to pay

However, my studio partner is a full time pro fashion photographer, and for him it is more like:

- Models that want to build a portfolio will pay him good money to have him photograph them
- Models that he uses for a client (magazine, fashion label etc) job - he will pay them, and he will be getting paid himself by the client as well.
- Experienced models that he wants to use for a personal project - they will work TFP as they will be getting pro quality photos that they can use in their portfolio. He has people lining up to work with him

However, it has taken him some years to get to this level. At the start, he had the same options as I do.....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom