Modern Fisherman

The Modern Fisherman. Boat tied up, wares laid out on dock for sale...time to call home.

Funny, when I looked at this photo, I almost felt that I had gotten too close to him; that I had invaded his space. However, I liked the photo for the fatique in his face, the slumped shoulders, etc. Comments, critiques?

Nikon D100 ,Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR
1/320s f/8.0 at 120.0mm

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lin, I like this shot. He looks really tired, like he's calling home for a pick-me-up from his wife...maybe just to hear her voice. It also reminds me somewhat of an interesting sight we have around here..."Modern Amish"....They drive pick-up trucks and talk on cell phones!!! The colors and perspective in your shot are great. Well done!

"Modern Amish"
For real Leigh? Is this just the kids (from 14-18 they lead non-Amish lives as part of the culture) or adults?

Usually they are pretty orthodox about their practices.

twig said:
"Modern Amish"
For real Leigh? Is this just the kids (from 14-18 they lead non-Amish lives as part of the culture) or adults?

Usually they are pretty orthodox about their practices.
It's for real! They build gazebos and that sort of thing as a business. It's crazy looking since they dress in traditional clothes, but pull up in new trucks and have cell phones. They are known as "Yoders"...it's a common last name among the Amish, and I guess that's just what they've become known as. We've got a gazebo by our pool that was built by them.

Leigh,
Here in Lancaster Co. the Amish do the same thing.

Some drive cars, some have a woodworking business too.

It's funny how the Amish used to have a wooden phone booth tucked behind the barn somewhere and now they all have cell phones.

The first time I saw an Amish using a cell phone I darn near couldn't believe my eyes.

Real Name
Chris
I like that shot Lin! The combination of the pulleys, weights and wires, along with the diagonal chain between him and the viewer actually seal him off in his own, private space. The environmentalness of it makes me smell fish. Again, great shot!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom