Modern Ruins of Abandoned Detroit (PHOTOS)

http://www.weather.com/travel/modern-ruins-abandoned-detroit-photos-20130715

But there is a haunting beauty to the decaying ruins of a post-industrial city such as Detroit, which has become the largest American city to file for bankruptcy. And this is what photographers Yves Marchand and Romain Meffre captured in their series "The Ruins of Detroit" (Steidl, 2011). In the images above, Marchand and Meffre document a city's disintegration, showcasing structures that were formerly a source of civic pride.

When I see an old, decaying structure, I often think "If those walls could talk, what stories would they have to tell?". The same holds true for these once proud venues.

Thats a great example of what effect shipping jobs outside our borders has on the US economy. This is the front lines.

Thats a great example of what effect shipping jobs outside our borders has on the US economy. This is the front lines.

Or of what happens when domestic labor charges are too high. You can thank the Unions for that. But let's not go there :wink:

Strangely beautiful photos though.

Great pictures - thanks for sharing.

I wonder what kind of access they needed to be able to shoot all those abandoned buildings? Particularly from the inside obviously. Very good work and lighting evident in all of them. Haunting...

Great pictures - thanks for sharing.

I wonder what kind of access they needed to be able to shoot all those abandoned buildings? Particularly from the inside obviously. Very good work and lighting evident in all of them. Haunting...

Usually there are small armies of security guards patrolling buildings like that 24 hours a day but they cost money so maybe there is nothing in this case except a few signs saying 'If you fall and break your neck, we are broke so don't bother suing us. Enter at your own risk!'

What will happen to the place? Will the city just be abandoned completely or will it become a new city for those who can't afford houses. It looks like a post apocalyptic video game there!

Great set of pics, I also clicked on the list down the side on the 1920`s swimwear pics, brilliant too.

What will happen to the place? Will the city just be abandoned completely or will it become a new city for those who can't afford houses. It looks like a post apocalyptic video game there!

It will be rebuilt by OCP into a New Detroit and there will be a first in law enforcement with a hybrid man/robot police officer.:biggrin:

thanks for sharing the link, it is so sad that Vandals must break and destroy, would live to see it as people left it and just walked away like the town of Bodie Ca. let nature reclaim.

Latest threads

Top Bottom