Modernism Photography research help?

Hey all!

I'm hoping there are some photography history people out there who can help me!

I am doing a presentation for my b&w film class on 'modernism in photography' and I was wondering if anyone out there had any good sources they could send my way! I haven't had much luck with finding places online and our school library doesn't have a very good collection of books about that.

If you have any information that could help me out that would be great!

Thanks!

I find Photography a concise History by Ian Jeffrey isbn 88-51227 one of the better artistic evalutions of photography. Its really an essay on the different evolutions in photographic artistic forms.

Try 'The Center for Creative Photography' at the Univ of Arizona. They have the archives of a significent number of VERY prominent photographers of modern times.

ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

i did a similar assignment years ago.

the horror. THE HORROR!

(ps: i winged it by arguing that photojournalism was modernist art in it's purest form. didn't ace that course, didn't fail it either)

ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!

i did a similar assignment years ago.

the horror. THE HORROR!

(ps: i winged it by arguing that photojournalism was modernist art in it's purest form. didn't ace that course, didn't fail it either)

I have to give an "up to 15 minute" presentation for it in class on Wednesday and I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

I'm just having troubles finding specifics on the processes they used. And every source I've found has different date brackets for it.

It's kickin' my butt!

I have to give an "up to 15 minute" presentation for it in class on Wednesday and I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

I'm just having troubles finding specifics on the processes they used. And every source I've found has different date brackets for it.

It's kickin' my butt!

what do you mean 'processes they used'?

as in, exposure and development processes used to create various effects?

sheesh.

what do you mean 'processes they used'?

as in, exposure and development processes used to create various effects?

sheesh.

uh huh!

Here's what I have to have!

-significant practitioners, what equipment, media, processes and other technical elements were important, and importance to the history of photography.

-What were the main characteristics/tenants of the movement?

-Include images/photographers who preceeded the movement and explain why the change occurred.

-Were there regions/countries that the movement was more prevalent?

-Did/how did the movement end?

-How has this movement affected contemporary photography?

-Were there any revivals of interest? etc.

your teacher is a pure sadist. i hope the course is called "spend time with artists...".

i suppose you could fill up a few minutes with a discussion on the Zone System and Ansel Adams?

if you're talking about the period from the end of WW1 through to the end of WW2 (~1920 through to ~45), then the founding of Magnum and the works of Cartier-Bresson, Andre Kertesz (aka: Robert Capa) along with the less photojournalistic more artistic works of Eve Arnold and Chim?

as for equipment: sounds like an opportunity to mention the use of 35mm Cine film in still photography pioneered by the original rangefinder Leitz Camera (Leica?).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom