Mojave Update 10.14.5

I received an update reminder on my MBP today to upgrade Mojave 10.14.4 to 10.14.5.
Thinking it should be a fairly quick process only going up .1 I decided to go ahead.
To my surprise it took about a half hour.
I guess you just can't judge it by how many updates you are upgrading.
Everything turned out fine. Just had me a little concerned why it was taking so long.

Mojave bricked my iMac...45 minutes with Apple support (who eventually gave up and recommended restoring my backup) followed by 2+ hours restoring my computer from Time Machine and another two weeks cleaning up the mess.

Mojave bricked my iMac...45 minutes with Apple support (who eventually gave up and recommended restoring my backup) followed by 2+ hours restoring my computer from Time Machine and another two weeks cleaning up the mess.
I realize this is an old thread.

Slow day here today so I was contemplating upgrading from "High Sierra" to "Mojave", but experiences like Roscoe reported here gives me pause. Has anyone else encountered problems like this?

I'm using a late 2015 iMac currently on macOS 10.13.6.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My upgrade went just as smooth as could be.
I believe this is the version I had to check if I had any 32 bit apps which I did not.
If you do a search here on the Cafe you'll find the threads on how to check this.
As a precautionary habit I always make a Time Machine backup AND a Super Duper backup before doing any upgrade.

My upgrade went just as smooth as could be.
Thanks. That is reassuring.

I believe this is the version I had to check if I had any 32 bit apps which I did not.
If you do a search here on the Cafe you'll find the threads on how to check this.
Yes. I have made that check a couple of times.

As a precautionary habit I always make a Time Machine backup AND a Super Duper backup before doing any upgrade.
That was already in the plan.

Sounds like your doing everything right Jim.
I have had people ask me why backup with both Time Machine and Super Duper.
It is my understanding that after you restore from Time Machine there is still a considerable amount of system files that the computer needs to download from Apple and is very time consuming. With a restore from Super Duper everything is on your system after a restore. I have never had the need to do a full restore to confirm this but it's better to be safe than sorry.

I realize this is an old thread.

Slow day here today so I was contemplating upgrading from "High Sierra" to "Mojave", but experiences like Roscoe reported here gives me pause. Has anyone else encountered problems like this?

I'm using a late 2015 iMac currently on macOS 10.13.6.
My new iMac shipped with Catalina, and my plan was to run some of my older apps that Catalina would not play with on a Mojave external ssd. Like you, my older system was on High Sierra, and the new Catalina iMac gave the black screen of death if I tried to restart a High Sierra external ssd. Unable to find a Mojave installer, my 1st stop was contacting Apple support, who could (or would) not locate a Mojave copy, and referred me to the local Apple Store. Fortunately, my Apple Store tech was in a good mood, and loaded a copy of Mojave on my ssd. He told me it was my lucky day, as they had been instructed by Apple to return their remaining Mojave units to Apple the next day.

You do the right thing: you should make both!

I discovered, while rebuilding the hardware in my 2010 Mac Pro, that "restoring" from Time Machine to a new SSD does NOT result in a "blessed" (bootable) Start-up drive.

You need to have made a SuperDuper copy from an existing start-up drive on a spare Drive — and to have enabled SuperDuper to make that copy "Bootable".

You can then SuperDuper that copy back to a new freshly-formatted HDD or SSD.

The black screen of death was experienced using a bootable SuperDuper clone of my High Sierra main drive, Ann.

Ann,
That makes perfect sense.
Time Machine is more of a file backup program where Super Duper actually makes a drive image that restores the bootable sections as well. I have had a number of individuals ask me why I use both now I have a good explanation rather than just because I want extra insurance so to speak. I also rename my Super Duper drive image with the date once complete otherwise Super Duper will erase it on the next backup. I am surprised that this is not more publicized. There must be quite a few users whose HD has gone bad and needed replacement.

I read that many 32-bit applications do run on Mojave so this won't be the end of the world for me. The freeware program G064 reports that I still have 95 32-bit apps. The biggest loss when I have to move to the next release will be Photoshop CS5.1. I also will hate to lose Adobe Acrobat.

I didn't have a single 32-bit program on mine. Made the decision to upgrade quite easy. I was very thankful for G064 to take the guesswork out.

Mojave was an "ok" upgrade but still better than High Sierra. Now Catalina? Easily a better choice than Mojave...it's not even close.

I don't have any 32bit programs (that I cared about, at least) so it wasn't a concern for me but upgrading to Catalina got rid of the bugs Mojave had (which were minimal, but still apparent at times) and has been nothing but great thus far.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom