Molly won a Blue Ribbon+note to Retief

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Steve S, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Please comment so I can improve, and don't hold back on my account.
    Went out to the local Arabian horse competition today to watch my friend's horses entries. For Retief: I got hassled by the director, as he was alerted that some "freelance photographer" was running around taking pics, horning in on [​IMG] action. (I remember your similar dog show story). When I explained to him I was just out there for the fun of it and the practice, and had no intentiions of selling a single pic, he seemed puzzled at first, but was ultimately satisfied with my story.

Simply could not find an uncluttered place to take Molly's pick in the shade, so we we way out to the outskirts of the fairgrounds, and shot there. Couldn't use fill flash on Molly's shot, since she told me the last time someone did that, the horse bolted. :eek: She's one of the part-time groomers at Legend Crest, where I've been shooting those Arabians lately.
    The other pics are just a couple interesting horses I captured while in the grandstands.
    Molly's pic was shot with D2X/28-70, while the other 2 were shot with 70-200VR on a monopod.
    Molly:
    original.
    Red Ribbon winner:
    original.
    Interesting Gelding:
    original.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    steve,
    Dispite the AH"s!!!!! your images are beautiful. You photgraphy of the horses are just great. I always told you , you are great shooting animals. Always on the mark.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Steve, kinda hard for me to critique when these are really good. Even the molly shot in hard light worked out very well, If I must say something.....have molly hold the ribbon in her left hand (which she is doing), and hold the reigns with the left hand and put her right hand on the horses neck/head. Might improve the shot? great smile from her!

the others, gosh, nice sharp captures and the third really is a very nicely lit photo, the best of the lot in my opinion, open eyes on the gentleman would help but that is nitpicking a subtle capture.

Bravo,

Wade

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks for the nice comments Gale. I do work hard to get them to this state somethimes. The last 2 needed some EV adjustment then a healty dose of DEE to get them looking this way. Not sure I follow you on the term "AH"s" though.

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Wade, I see what you mean by Molly's hand placement, that's a good suggestion. Heck, you should'a seen the 1st couple shots! Her little helper was holding the ribbon into the frame, with this mysterious little hand coming in from the right side. That wasn't working at all!
    The shots where the gent had his eyes open were either no good due to the judges positions in the frame, or in a couple, he had his crop obscuring his face. This was right in the middle of the competition, so it's not like I could yell, "Hey buddy, get that crop away from your face, and open your eyes more. I was well over 100 ft away too.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    lol

And even with eyes closed, that one ismy favorite of the bunch