1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mom @ 88

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by MurphyD, Aug 3, 2008.

1. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    hi all,
    this is my mom. She is 88 years old and still telling me what to do.:biggrin:

Let me know what you think of the bw conversion. Done in ACR. In HSL set all in the saturation tab to -100, then adjust colors in the Luminance tab. Did not check the "Convert to greyscale" box.

Thanks for the C&C
    David

[​IMG]

2. david
    she looks like a very cool lady
    and.... very strong-minded

i like the shot
    and i think your b/w conversion suits her well

3. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Nice detail.
    I think I might have tried lightening up left side of her face before the conversion to give it a little more definition. It looks pretty flat compared to the lit side.
    Then a USM at .3 to taste.

4. leahp26

leahp26

Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    I like the lighting on one side of her face. I also like that it is focused but not super sharp.

Just my inexperienced 2 cents.

Did your Mom like it? She looks like a great lady

EDIT: I just saw Lew's comments - they seem to make more sense than mine. I think I need to wait another 6 months before I offer up any C&C :) 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  5. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Absolutely not. IMO, looking at images, deciding if you like them and understanding the elements that make them successful is the most important things anyone can do to get better at taking their own pix.

I tried lightening and sharpening but the lightening doesn't work nearly as well in the BW version. I do think the sharpening does add more character to this very nice portrait.

momne6.
    By llorton

6. i think it's super cute. it would be a lot better i think with a totally plain background get rid of whatever's behind her. i'd maybe bring in some more shadow/mid on the lighter side and more contrast altogether on the darker side. what lew did looks cool but still minus the thing in the background would be superb

7. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks everyone for your imput.
    Lew, I think you hit the nail on the head. It is flat on the shadow side, but your sharpening is a bit strong for me. I will try to increase the contrast on that side, but I like the higher contrast from the two sides of her face.

Leah, you would be suprised what the eye can see. Your "focused but not super sharp' is exactly correct. I have gotten to where I use little if any USM. I am trying out several different ways to limit sharpening to only what I want sharpened. I have worked through several tutorials and books on this. Various ways to use "Find edges" and "high pass filter" are what I am working with. Just have to learn which way works on which images.

Laura, Mom will love "cute." :smile: I will work on the bg and the contrast in the shadow.
    Very helpful stuff.
    David

8. i ran noise ninja on it first
    then played with the middle slider with LEVELS
    then... increased the contrast 10% and ran shadows and highlights at 5%
    came up with this:

345290149_YCYWr-X2.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.