Mom and youngster Pileated Woodpeckers

My backyard is getting pretty active of late, with song birds and four different types of woodpeckers bring their young to my suet feeder. The Pileated woodpecker youngsters are my favorites, they're so funny to watch trying to land and really don't know how to feed themselves for the most part. I watched this mom feed her baby for some time before they took off to someone else's backyard.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Louie

Nicely captured, Louie. It's interesting to watch the behavior of young animals. Regardless of what researchers claim, many years of my own observations and common sense suggest there is very little behavior in birds and mammals that is instinctive(i.e. hard coded into their DNA). Just like us they learn from their parents.

Nicely captured, Louie. It's interesting to watch the behavior of young animals. Regardless of what researchers claim, many years of my own observations and common sense suggest there is very little behavior in birds and mammals that is instinctive(i.e. hard coded into their DNA). Just like us they learn from their parents.
Thanks very much Dan and I agree with your comments regarding behavioral traits.

Sweet series, the lens is in tune with you!
Thanks Andreas.

great set Louie

and in your BY is amazing
Thanks Randy, I'm loving this lens.

Well done. I like the poses a lot. Whenever I have seen adult pileated feeding their young, the young have been in holes. This is much nicer.
Thanks Allan.

Excellent set, Louie. And lucky you to have to them in your back yard.
Many thanks Jim, I don't take it for granted that I have such good shooting opportunities so close, in fact love it.

Awesome set just love these Pileated woodpeckers
Appreciate your comments, thanks.

So cool to be able to have in your yard. And cool for us to see them through your great images
Thank you very much Bob, appreciate it.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom