Mona and her fiance

This is a photo I took of my sister, Mona, and her fiance over the Thanksgiving holiday in Northern Virginia.

I had them stand in front of a large window for back lighting and I used the built in D80 flash for fill. Of course this was taken with my one and only 50 at f/5.6
I had the ISO at 400 by accident.

I have an SB-28 but I still have yet to use it.

C & C welcome.

DSC_0043_small.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Samer,
You got great smiles from both. They look great.
The shot looks out of focus though. Did you do any post processing on this? Maybe a bit too much selective gaussian to get rid of noise?

BTW, about time you posted something...!

Samer,
You got great smiles from both. They look great.
The shot looks out of focus though. Did you do any post processing on this? Maybe a bit too much selective gaussian to get rid of noise?

BTW, about time you posted something...!

Thanks for the comment. Hmmm, I don't think it was focus, or post processing. I looked at the RAW file again, since it has been a while... and the sharpness is the same. My best guess at this point is camera shake. The exposure was at 1/60 and my hands aren't always steady.

Any other suggestions out there??

T

topher04r1

im thinking it was just camera shake.. it happens.... great expressions though !

im thinking it was just camera shake.. it happens.... great expressions though !

Thanks for the comment Topher! I guess I'll close the book on that and call it camera shake. I certainly can't blame the equipment, since I've gotten sharp pictures before... outdoors :biggrin:

If I had apenny for every shot I lost to camera shake, I'd have a lot faster lenses in my camera bag :biggrin: .

I typically shoot in aperture priority, but when I pop the flash, I usually switch to shutter priority or manual.

T

topher04r1

I've had REAL good luck with my camera in M mode while using a sb800 ...!

Thanks for the tips guys! Next time I'll use the SB-28 in manual mode pointed up with the card... and we'll see what happens.

I think my comfort zone is still outdoors on on overcast day, but I want to learn less than ideal indoor flash too.

Read this post by Uncle Frank, it might give you some ideas. Just FYI, I made some tonight out of the miracle foam and it was very simple.

They are a cute couple.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read this post by Uncle Frank, it might give you some ideas. Just FYI, I made some tonight out of the miracle foam and it was very simple.

They are a cute couple.

Thanks Gordon! I just looked at the video. I think that will work better than the built in bounce card. I'll have to give it a try soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gordon! I just looked at the video. I think that will work better than the built in bounce card. I'll have to give it a try soon.

I bought the 12x18'' sheet of foam for $.69 and made six of the reflectors. Was very easy to do and I had some wide rubber bands that worked perfect for holding them onto the flash.

Looks nice, but maybe a tad underexposed and OOF. The earings are tack sharp though. ;)

Good eye there Gregory! I actually didn't notice the earings till you mentioned it.

So to summarize. I think the problems with that photo are as follows:

1) Missed the focus a little
2) Camera shake
3) Matrix metering with back lighting caused underexposure
4) Built in flash not the best

Thanks very much guys. I'm sure I'll improve on my next indoor photo attempts.

After reading the post I decided to PP that image and after adjusting levels and running a little USM. I believe you image was not really that OOF. The result I got looks pretty sharp to me.

119517605-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Let me know what you think.

After reading the post I decided to PP that image and after adjusting levels and running a little USM. I believe you image was not really that OOF. The result I got looks pretty sharp to me.

Let me know what you think.

Awesome Warren! The minute I think I've figured it out, I realize I haven't.

Thanks for taking the time to PP this. I have plenty still to learn. Thank you Warren.

Latest threads

Top Bottom