1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Monarch and Phalaenopsis

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by lanthier, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Okay, not together, though that would be a cool look. I was at my in-laws for a quick overnight, and their butterfly bush was CRAZY! Teaming with all kinds of butterflies, hummingbird moths, and the largest bumble bees I have seen (happily, honey bees too!!!). And my MIL's orchids were blooming! Anyway, my only problem was gear, I usually bring up a lot of stuff, but this time was there for so short: Handheld D700 + 24-70 only...

Monarch 1 f5, 70mm, 1/800

[​IMG]

Monarch 2 (same)

[​IMG]

3) Phal 1 Color; same (1/125)

[​IMG]

4) Phal BW (same as 3)

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2009
  2. willg

willg

Nov 22, 2007
    New Jersey, USA
    Rich; very nice. I like how you managed to keep the backgrounds in the monarch shots so soft but yet the monarch just pops out. Love the high-key effect in the orchid shots. Just a little too blown out on the upper left though. All nicely done as usual.

3. Beautiful shots, Rich. The color shot of the orchid is very nice. We have a butterfly bush in our yard, but I very seldom see anything on it. We do have some B'flies on our zinnias though.

4. Hey Will, thanks for looking. I agree, I hate that hot upper left, but was pretty pleased in that light overall (brutal afternoon light through glass) and with the gear I had... I was pretty stunned with how well the 24-70 did close-ups, was not how I usually use it at all! Great lens...

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the comments. That butterfly bush is usually teeming with activity, but I have never seen it like this. The Monarchs were a pleasure to shoot as they were so calm compared to a lot of the others in there...

5. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Hi Rich, I've not seen you around these parts for a while.

Nice work, as usual. I guess these just go to show what you can do with compromised gear. The first image is my favourite, the background is rendered very nicely.

6. Hi Robert,

A bit of an unintentional sabbatical I suppose. I now have the 35/2 that has been traveling around the country, so I should be posting images in that thread. I was happily surprised at the ability of the 24-70. The orchid light was BRUTAL! I would have loved to have a 60 or 105 macro lens with me this time for the butterfly bush - crazy action in there!

Hope you are well...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.