Monarch Chrysalis

My next-door neighbor grows milkweed plants to attract Monarch butterflies. Once the caterpillars form, she places them on milkweed stems and leaves stored in a tent in her carport. That's partly to protect them from the birds and partly so she can enjoy watching them develop. I took this stem and chrysalis into my makeshift studio.

Setup
Magnification ratio about 1:1.8 -- The background is green presentation paper lit separately by a flashlight. A small continuous-light lamp was on the right side of the subject and a white reflector on the left added the bright tones to that edge of the chrysalis.

Mike 2021-09-14--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Dan
I used to see these frequently when I was a kid. Now I don't see a single monarch butterfly most years.

Great color coordination. Lovely lighting. My wife has been creating habitats for 5 years out here in Loudoun. Lots of milkweed but we only saw a couple of Monarchs. Seems like we had wasps and flies attacking the milkweed

Thank you to Rick, Nick, Dan, John and dossy!

Remember, don't break it

Good joke! Seriously though, I carried the stem with the chrysalis hanging on it ever so carefully because I feared the chrysalis would fall off. As it turned out, a few minutes later my neighbor accidentally knocked one off and borrowed some glue from me in an attempt to rectify the problem. I don't yet know if it worked.

The photo was captured mid-afternoon yesterday. Between then and 8:00am today, the butterfly emerged.

The chrysalis that are less further along in the development have noticeably less color and are mostly if not entirely green. I prefer the look of chrysalis that are more developed because of the other colors, especially the purple tones, that are displayed.

By the way, dossy taught me that the term chrysalis can be both the singular and plural versions of the word. It's amazing what ya can learn on a photography forum. :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom