monarch development at the Tkaczyk monarch nursery (long post)

Just a few images of our attempt to assist monarch butterflies in their development. Their survival rate on their own is about 5%. Fascinating that these eggs and larva represent the 4th generation of monarchs that left their southern climate to reach us here in Thunder Bay. The resulting offspring that emerge in our nursery have a long journey on their own back to Mexico.
Please note that these images were taken with various cameras, cell phone, ipad -depending what was on hand when the event occured. So they are not great images. I thought I would present their fascinating development for those interested:
We had many larva this year on our milkweed plants:

They have voracious appetites, eat continuously and poop, poop, poop,
After having fattened up to a good size they climb and attach themselves - in this case cheese cloth.
They they form a rigid J shape: and spin and spin

They actually do spin to make a crysallis

The resulting chrysalis is a light green colour
Monarch Chrysalis 8060009.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

After about 10 days the chrysalis turns black and you can see the outline of the formed wings and body
Monarch Chrysalis black  8080075.jpg

Then they struggle to emerge:
Monarch Chrysalis black  8090079.jpg

Though it takes them hardly any time at all.
Monarch Chrysalis black  8090085.jpg

Monarch emerging 8080091.jpg

Then we gently take them out of the nursery to be set free.
Male in hand:
Male Monarch on Nush hand .jpg

Female:
female monarch crawling on hand.jpg

Attachments

Well captured stages of their development. Kudos to you all for hosting. My wife has been doing the same for several years. We had our third hatch last night. Waiting for a bit cooler temp later today/tomorrow to release - it is a feel like 100F day here in greater DC area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well captures stages of their development. Kudos to you all for hosting. My wife has been doing the same for several years. We had our third hatch last night. Waiting for a bit cooler temp later today/tomorrow to release - it is a feel like 100F day here in greater DC area.
Thanks we've released about 10 so far with a couple more in the chrysalis stage yet

My wife says this article pertains to butterflies that mated and laid eggs in captivity. Her understanding is the larvae/cateripllaars brought in from outside will migrate as expected after hatching. She did do this year's batch on our outdoor deck due to temperature variance indoor (AC) vs out this year.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom