Monarch on Milkweed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Excellent photo, Birgit. How soon will the eggs hatch? Will the resulting butterflies make this year's migration?
Good questions. The eggs take 4-6 days to hatch. When I find them, I bring them indoors so they do not get eaten or parasitized. Only about 5% of eggs/first instars make it. I gather milkweed for the cats. They go through 5 instars (shedding skin to get larger) and then make their chrysalis. It takes about 10-14 days for the butterfly to "eclose" or emerge. Monarchs that emerge at this time of year would normally be joining the migration to Mexico from my area.

Here are a couple of pics showing the female laying eggs on the milkweed. Usually one egg per plant, but sometimes I find more than one.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Took me a while, and a second cup of coffee - - "you feed WHAT to the cats????" :eek::rolleyes::cool:
Nice work Birgit, and great photos too. My milkweed has yet to attract Monarchs (not as common up here) but swallowtails, bees and hummers love 'em.
Hahaha! I should perhaps say caterpillars! But we all shorten to cats. There are different kinds of milkweed...common and swamp grow well here. I've never seen anything but monarchs on the milkweed. Swallowtails like dill, I believe. Lots of swallowtails here. Here is the black form....

Our native species here is Showy milkweed, Asclepias speciosa. We are home to at least 3 species of swallowtails: western tiger, 2-tailed and Canadian. Was a great year for them and bees, wasps and hornets. Bees are especially busy right now.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom