1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Monarch on Milkweed

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by OHcorgis, Sep 7, 2018.

• Like Like x 2
  1. Excellent photo, Birgit. How soon will the eggs hatch? Will the resulting butterflies make this year's migration?

2. Excellent composition - colors work well together.

3. Good questions. The eggs take 4-6 days to hatch. When I find them, I bring them indoors so they do not get eaten or parasitized. Only about 5% of eggs/first instars make it. I gather milkweed for the cats. They go through 5 instars (shedding skin to get larger) and then make their chrysalis. It takes about 10-14 days for the butterfly to "eclose" or emerge. Monarchs that emerge at this time of year would normally be joining the migration to Mexico from my area.

Here are a couple of pics showing the female laying eggs on the milkweed. Usually one egg per plant, but sometimes I find more than one.

monarch (1 of 1)-7.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

monarch (1 of 1)-10.jpg

4. Thank you!

5. Took me a while, and a second cup of coffee - - "you feed WHAT to the cats????" :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: 
    Nice work Birgit, and great photos too. My milkweed has yet to attract Monarchs (not as common up here) but swallowtails, bees and hummers love 'em.

6. Hahaha! I should perhaps say caterpillars! But we all shorten to cats. There are different kinds of milkweed...common and swamp grow well here. I've never seen anything but monarchs on the milkweed. Swallowtails like dill, I believe. Lots of swallowtails here. Here is the black form....
    black swallowtail (1 of 1)-4.jpg
    black swallowtail (1 of 1)-11.jpg

7. Our native species here is Showy milkweed, Asclepias speciosa. We are home to at least 3 species of swallowtails: western tiger, 2-tailed and Canadian. Was a great year for them and bees, wasps and hornets. Bees are especially busy right now.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.