1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Money pit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim_B, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    What hobby, in your experience, was the biggest "money pit"?

For me it was building up a Jeep Wrangler for rock crawling. When asking the parts department at my local Jeep dealer why parts were so expensive, he pointed to the name Jeep and said "stands for - Just Empty Every Pocket"

Once you get into altering the suspension, the dollars get to flying.

What was yours?

2. LG100

LG100

Dec 28, 2007
    Texas, USA
    The time I spent around film photography (albeit short) left me with the overwhelming impression that folks without a good and inherent bit of selectivity and self control who were bitten properly by that bug would be shortly reduced to dumpster diving no matter if they'd formerly made the Forbes' 500 list. High end audio electronics is high up on the list as well. I've been told by several in the know that owning a typical boat is more expensive over the long haul than owning a typical aircraft.

3. You mean, besides photography? :biggrin:

4. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    children. Everything else pales in comparison

5. I've been told by a Dive master friend that "owning a boat is simply having a hole in the water into which you throw money." :smile:

6. Sailing (by far)

I can categorically confirm this!

I spend a lot more on the boat than anything else. Hands down. But sometimes, when I bring my camera, it's worth every penny!

2081955914_4ea7fedee4_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

3682172983_b6b1ed87bc_o.jpg

3685199896_a671d1312e_o.jpg

7. Raising children, albeit not a hobby, has certainly cost me the most but then the rewards are high and just keep on giving. For me, photography has been the most expensive hobby I have had.

8. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    By far photography is number one, but I had dropped some big $$$ on golf too. If I was not planning to retire soon I would be in the market for an RV or boat, but I'm building up the retirement transition fund.

9. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    Okay, I should have established some ground rules.

I've raised 4, children are not hobbies, they are money pits, but not a hobby.

Something other than photography.

10. jerryshenk

jerryshenk

Jan 8, 2009
    PA
    I have a friend who races cars...even at the low end, that's REALLY expensive.

Rich,
    I love that 3rd shot - the shot of one sailboat framed by the front (I think) of yours.

11. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Scuba Diving set me back probably close to $15,000 for all the gear I bought. Too bad it's been collecting dust for the past 5 years since my son was born...

12. LOL, yea not a hobby, but a heck of a money pit, like Gordon said it pays great dividends of visits and grandchildren.

Well collecting antique tools was in first place, you haven't lived until you have held a $25,000 wood plane, may be worse than owning a boat, but photography is well in the lead now. No I did not own the plane, I was just standing there when it was sold, lens lust does not come close to the feelings I had that day.:Love:

13. For me, besides photography, kids, and education---I'm seriously into wine and cooking so buying, collecting, sampling, traveling for, etc., soaks up a LOT of money--but is it a money pit? For the enjoyment and friendships I get out of it, no.

14. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    25Gs for a wood plane. What, did George Washington own it?

15. This IS a tough one.
    If you rule out kids AND photography...

My boat has been relatively costly, but...
    Restoring and autocrossing my 73 Mini has been a little more costly (it's also a driver)...
    But flying beats them all. I manage to put enough pennies together to keep the Mini running very competitively and the boat is still ticking, too (although it's going on the block in a matter of weeks). I can no longer afford to fly. I haven't been in a small plane since around 2000. I spent more on flying over five years than I can now even comprehend! If I only had that money back, I could have, well, several other very expensive hobbies instead :) 

16. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    In order of their cost:

Photography, probably over $60K in 40 years
    Sailboat, now long gone, but close in terms of net cost
    Amateur radio, about $30K
    Guitars, about $20K

My wife has said, gently, "A lot of people have only one expensive hobby."

17. Jeep Captain

Jeep Captain

Jan 28, 2009
    Indiana
    1. Kids Education
    2. Boat
    3. Motorcycle
    4. Photography

18. My brother often chides me about buying new cameras or lenses, but then I remind him that he has two boats while I have none. End of conversation. :biggrin:

My other major hobby over the last 17 years has been fly fishing. I spent quite a bit on fly rods and other gear for awhile, but now I find I'm quite happy with what I have. Discounting fishing travel, I would say both hobbies have cost about the same.

Since I retired in 2003, our biggest expense has been travel. We have been to Italy, Egypt, Chile, New Zealand, Australia (separate trips), Alaska (twice), Canadian Rockies (twice), Costa Rica, Germany, plus many trips within the lower 48. Some of those trips included fishing. But expenses for all other hobbies pale in comparison to travel.

19. Reef Aquariums are serious money pits. It's not uncommon to spend upwards of $10K for a small 60g tank, and some folks in the hobby who have mega tanks in the 1000 gallons have spent about 100K in equipment and livestock. Some even had to build their homes around their tanks!

Not to mention the cost of replacing dead livestock, electricity, maintenance and additives. With photography, you can spend money up front and it costs nothing to keep shooting. Some hobbies require that you keep putting money into it.

20. Jesus was a carpenter, wasn't he?:biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.