Monitor and Printer Calibration

I am in need of software to match my monitor image with the images that print on my Epson 1800. I use an iMac with a 17" screen. This is the older version of iMac with the screen attached to the hemisphere-type base.

I use Photoshop CS2 and Lightroom and am running 10.4. I need to match the images on my monitor to be what is printed. Can someone please give me a recommendation for software that will accomplish this. If needed, I have an Epson 4870 scanner. I understand that some software requires a scan of a printed image to match the monitor. Do I have that right?

Any help, recommendations, etc. would be much appreciated.

Ron,

Is your monitor calibrated at this point? If not you'll want to calibrate it, and the 2nd step would be to have a profile made for your printer, using the ink and paper you intend to use for the final product, although there are stock profiles available from many printer manufacturers that some folks find work very well. If you need more specific detail, let us know - I don't want to preach to the choir at any point here.

Sean

Sean-
Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Let me give that a read. I will read and then let you know where I think I am on this issue.
Thanks again. And you aren't preaching to the choir, this will be the first time I have tried this. Your help is appreciated.

OK. I have read the tutuorial and understand the concept of calibration. I can say this about my system. I have never calibrated the monitor except for the Apple ColorSync utility and I have never specifically profiled my printer. I use the supplied Epson profiles with the Epson paper that I always use. However, I continue to get prints that don't match the color I see on my monitor. That is what I need to fix. Any suggestions as to the software/hardware that would be good for my amateur use. I post some pictures on pbase but most of the stuff I like I print on the Epson 1800.

Thanks

Ron,

Most folks use a device like Gretag's Eye One Display 2 or the Spyder by Monaco to calibrate their monitors. I use Macs sparingly and haven't used Colorsync enough to know if it's sufficient for your setup, but I do use the Eye One D2 and have been pleased with it. Trying a calibration with a specialized piece of hardware like this would probably be the logical next step. If you still don't get matched printing results after that, you may have to (as I did) have a custom profile made for the printer. You'll print a color chart and have someone build a printer profile by scanning the chart with another specialized (and expensive!) piece of hardware.

Each step in this process is basically one slight refinement after another, and you work your way through the steps until you reach a level where the match between print and screen is working for you.

Sean

Latest threads

Top Bottom