1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Monitor and printer not matching

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by BostonRott, Jul 30, 2008.

1. I re-calibrated my monitor today, using the Spyder2, and followed all of their rules.

My desktop and my laptop monitors are not close in how they look (I am unable to calibrate the laptop). I still suspect that people who view my images online, see them as I do on this laptop (which I feel they look like crap on here), and not as I see them on the desktop.

So I printed today's image, to see which it more closely matched. I would say the hues are in line with my monitor, but the print is definitely darker than the monitor is (i.e. 1/3 to 1/2 stop).

My printer is HP B9180, I'm using HP Advanced glossy paper, PS managed profile (and using the correct profile for the paper), and using the HP printing utility (that you load into PS, I have CS3).

Am I missing something in my processing? Is there a way to tweak my monitor and printer so they match? The monitor is just an HP monitor (vs19d). I really don't want to try to guess on each print how much I need to lighten the shot on screen. :frown:

2. Gretchen these are the values that Iliah (the man really knows his color stuff) had posted many months ago. With these set I get bang on prints from my Epson R1800. Please note the brightness level that he recommends! Oh, and I always calibrate at night in the pitch dark with no ambient light to influence the measurements!
    Originally Posted by Iliah:
    set profiling target values to native gamma, native white point, and brightness to 85 cd/m^2.

3. FWIW, I've found the canned HP profiles for their inks/papers to be lacking. I had some custom profiles made for the HP ink and papers that I use most, and they ended up being much better than the canned profiles that HP provided.

Sean

4. I have the same problem with my iMac and B9180, just increase the brightness level in Elements to make the print lighter. In iPhoto they match the monitor really well so I need less adjustment. By the what in Elements I increase the brightness 25 and that seems to work well.

5. tipsord

tipsord

Sep 17, 2007
    scottsdale
    Have Profiles Made?

How do you actually go about having profiles made for your ink and papers?

Thanks!

6. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    When comparing, don't expect a perfect match, ink and electronic displays look very different, soft proofing does help a little. Color relationships should be very close though.
    with my Epson 1280 and R1800 I have found that the brightness is off as well. I use a huey pro for calibration. So I find that in NX2 (NX1) and Elements, the idea of increasing brightness by 30% as a last step before printing works 98% of the time.

Also, many of you might consider firefox, it is a color managed web browser.
    dale

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.