Monitor Calibration and Verifying

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, Oct 9, 2005.

1. So I have this nifty EyeOne Calibration tool (special thanks goes to Jeff Kohn for this device!) and I finally got around to calibrating my new monitor. I think it is better now but, I am not totally sure.

So on to my question. If I look at a color profile chart on my screen, don't I need a hard copy of the same color chart to compare against? I know that is probably a silly question but, how do I know that I am really calibrated now? I know some of you have a really great sense of color and can just tell by looking -I am not sure that I am able do to such a visual inspection and know that my colors are correct. I really am struggling with the whole color thing right now and maybe someday it will make sense to me. :confused:

Thanks for the help.

For example, I look at this chart and say "Ok" the colors look good? It really seems to me that I would need a hard copy reference of the same chart to compare against though?

MacbethCC-sRGB.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2005
  2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I went online to EZ prints, and they sent free 8½ X 11 B&W and color prints, with which to compare the same on their web site photos to see if your monitor and the prints match.

3. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Mark,I'm gonna watch this thread,it's puzzling me also ,I 've got the same callibration tool but not sure if it's O.K. after callibration

4. Ken-> Excellent, I will head over there now and check it out.

Hans -> Welcome to my club. The club of the "Confused". :smile:

I am not confident enough to just trust my eye's yet.

I suppose color calibration is kind of like tuning an instrument. Some people do it just by the sound or like me, I always needed a tuning device to help me out. Or maybe it is nothing like that either. I will shutup now and wait for more posts.

5. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Mark,

I'm not really sure what you are referring to by this "EyeOne Calibration tool", but I think you mean the GretagMacbeth Eye-One (2?) with Match 3 software. I bought one today after I spent a weekend processing pictures and had them printed today just to find out that my monitor was totally off.

When using the EyeOne I did not see a calibration chart. The device sits on the screen and the software displays single color patches to calibrate on. As long as the colorimeter is OK and properly calibrated, there shouldn't be any problem doing it so. So I don't understand really why you would want to compare printed test charts with a chart on the monitor, unless you don't trust the device. Is that what you mean?

Anyway, the heap of junk pictures :frown: I got back from the printer now match the display on screen :smile: . So off I go to re-process the whole lot again.

In any case, from what I have seen so far the EyeOne works really neat. Both my regular screen and laptop are now practically identical in displaying colors (though the laptop screen does have its limitations).

6. Heiko,

Yes you are correct. I have an EyeOne version 1. It seems to work fine and calibrate just fine.

I was just wondering how I would verify the profile that the EyeOne created. So I found a color chart(off the web) and was looking at it on my monitor and was just wondering how do I verify the profile it has created. I suppose I should get some pictures printed out and compare them to what I see on the screen. My last batch of pictures that I did get printed out had a terrible green hue to them and did not match what I saw on my monitor. Very similar to what happened to you. So now that I am calibrated I will have to get some pics printed out and compare again.

Along similar topics: I have a Canon S9000 printer that works pretty good. However, the pics I produce always seem to be "off" compared to what I see on the screen. Of course, that was before I calibrated my monitor and before I had my new monitor. I will have to get some new ink for my printer and see if things match better now.

7. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I guess that's one way to go about, as long as the place you print the pics does a good job.

Printing on your own Canon printer may improve results of your prints. But it still depends on proper profiles for the printer, which is another story.

So perhaps the best option is to compare a standard test chart with the same chart on the PC screen, as you suggested. Just watch the ambient light, as both the screen image and the test chart (perhaps even more so) will change their appearance and colors, depending on the light you have. I once found a website where they suggested to drag the monitor outside the house to get natural daylight, and then start calibrating.

I for myself will put some trust in my new gadget in the hope that it does it's job. Else how can I justify the $250 I paid for it over here?

8. Heiko,

Thanks for your help.

I just know I still got lots to learn for sure. I now want the new EyeOne that calibrates both printer and monitor, then maybe I will start using my printer again.

Mark.

9. monitor

my monitor offers a auto as well as other adjustments, I have not had any problem with a difference between prints and compared to the monitor, it's 21" so it gives me a good view. Hopefull I dont have the problem I belong to that school, I still can't get PSP to work so maybe thats telling me something. :rolleyes: