1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Monitor Calibration/Brightness

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by midocr, Mar 14, 2011.

1. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    I've been trying to get my monitor (Viewsonic VA2232wm) calibrated. Bought a Spyder3 Pro a few weeks ago. I've gone through the calibration several times and the colors look great. My question is: Is a properly calibrated monitor supposed to look dark? This thing has my brightness level at 32/100. It just looks un-naturally dark to me. Any suggestions?

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

It should not look dark. My calibrated monitors don't look dark.

Suggestions:

1. Upgrade to the Spyder3 Elite (it is just better software). This allows you to accurately calibrate the luminance.

2. Turn down the lights in the room.

3. That doesn't sound really unusual to me, but the numbers don't mean much. I use Spyder 3 Elite and currently calibrate to a luminance of 110cds. It's a lot darker than the monitor is right out of the box, and in a bright room would look dark. In appropriate viewing conditions it's "just right" though. I find 120 a little more comfortable but for print matching 110 (or lower, depending who you talk to ) is a little easier to work with.

4. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    Thanks for the response. I did upgrade to Elite. It gave me the exact same "brightness" setting. The monitor doesn't look dark. It's just a lot less bright than what I'm used to. When I calibrate, I have NO lights on in the room, just a window off to the side that doesn't through any light onto the monitor. The ambient light reading from the Spyder is "very low". When working at night, I have one lamp (24wt CFL) above and behind the monitor so it doesn't through any light directly onto the monitor. Guess it's just something I'll have to get used to.

Yes, it calibrated to 110cds. As I said, it is less bright than what I am used to and will take a little getting used to. Thanks for the response!

5. Yes, it will be dimmer than what you are used to... these computer monitors are like LCD TV's... they come out of the box with the brightness cranked as high as they go... looks good in the store and for casual use, but as you found out, not for photo editing, printing, calibrating. Trust your calibrator, and soon your eyes will get used to the "dimness"... do a test... give it a week, or even 4 days at the new brightness, then go and turn it all the way up like it was, and see how shocked you are at how bright it now seems to be!!! :biggrin:

6. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    I'm getting used to it. My daughter was here today using my system and asked "What's wrong with the monitor?" I had tell yell at her not to adjust it. I did crank it back up and you're right, it looks un-naturally bright after using the correct setting a few days. Thanks!

7. I have gone to the extreme with my laptop where I have disabled the f/keys that controll the brightness b/c they kept getting bumped or changed from the brightness I want it to be for editing... now I have to press shift+f/key to move brightness up or down. It's not been a problem so far with my desktop, though.

8. After I get everything adjusted and calibrated I'll bump the brightness to maximum using the keyboard and count the number of keystrokes to get there. On my Dell that's 3 keystrokes. When/if the brightness gets bumped I'll just make it full-bright then dim it down 3 keystrokes.

9. sako

sako

Feb 28, 2009
    New Zealand
    You should try calibrating the brightness at 120cds. I find this a good compromise setting on my monitor for general use. 110cds is usually better for printing as Vulturetec says, however we spend a lot more time looking at the monitor than we do printing from it.

10. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

I agree. I have standardised on 120.

11. midocr

midocr

Mar 28, 2008
    OH - IO
    Mike
    Ya know, I thought about trying something like that. But, I want to see other people's images as they would appear at a calibrated setting also. I'm pretty much used to the brightness level at this point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.