Monitor Calibration Device

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by RecalcitrantRon, Aug 1, 2007.

1. So should I get the Eye One LT or 2 or the Spyder Suite or Pro? Does it really even matter for a non-pro?

2. I recently got the the Pantone Heuy Pro. Decent price and it has done wonders for my color accuracy. another neat thing is that is checks the ambiant light level in the room and adjusts the screen accordingly (you can set how often it checks the levels). Pretty cool. only $129. I bought it direct from the pantone site.

Oh yeah it does multiple monitors as well. My LCD and CRT actually match for once.

3. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    whatever you feel comfortable spending the cash on. They all do pretty well.

4. If you are going to calibrate your monitor, ask youself this - Do I print a lot? Do my print go into competitive shows? Do I want accurate printed color. Do I want the printed image to be as close as possible to the [calibrated] screen image

If you answer YES to any or all of the printing questions, then consider a tool that will profile both the monitor and printer, such as GreytagMacbeth EyeOne Photo LT

5. Thanks for the info guys. Sounds liek whichever one I get will work fine for me and my level expertise (or lack thereof).

6. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    If going the Spyder II route, look at what you get with the device. I opted not to buy the pro version, same device, just lots of extra software I didn't need. I'm happy with the Spyder II.

7. I just got a Huey pro and it works great. Very easy to use and calibrated both my LCD's without a hitch.

cheers
    Nancy

8. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

I like my Eye One.

9. equetefue

equetefue

Sep 29, 2005
    Kissimmee, FL
    Pantone Huey here.

10. I just ordered the Eye One LT from J&R (I had a gift card) for $140. Looks like it should suit me fine and I can upgrade later if needed.

Thanks for all the advice.

11. mkawa

mkawa

Apr 25, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    there is a big difference between the different colorimeter and software packages. the gretag device is probably the best, along with lacie's software package (the lacie blue eye package provides both). this should give the most accurate display colors with a good panel. the spyder device is unfortunately not very accurate, neither is the huey device.

12. shoei

shoei Guest

Ive got a Gretagmacbeth(panatone) Huey.
    Does the job nicely.
    Makes a big difference, though it took a while to get used the colours once it had calibrated.
    Before hand was very cold/blue.

13. spencer313

spencer313 Guest

It is very common for LCDs to be very cold from the factory.

Welcome to accurate color!

S