Monitor Calibration (Pantone Huey vs. Spyder2 express)

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by frede, Apr 30, 2007.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
  2. I use the Huey, works fine. Adjusts for room lighting.

3. I just got the spyder2express... I'm not sure if it's working though. :biggrin:

4. Spyder 2 here... huge difference... highly recommended. Adorama just ran a special on it recently as well, but I think that is over... might want to check...

5. I have the huey as well, not bad and there is a pro option also.

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

Had the Colorvision Spyder and it was fine. Uing GretagMacBeth Eye One now. Personally I wouodn't economize on this piece of important equipment. The Spyder sells for around $150, the Gretag around $250.

7. msmiller

msmiller Guest

I just purchased the GretagMacBeth Eye One. It worked for me.
    I had just purchased a new 24" Samsung LCD monitor. It was a demo model on sale at CompUSA and I could not pass it up. I was so excited and hooked it up as soon as I got home....but then to my dismay all of my pictures looked different... really different. I messed around with the settings and software drivers for a couple of days and wound up making it worse. Then I went out and purchased the GretagMacBeth Eye One (which happened to cost more then the monitor I had just pruchased).
    GretagMacBeth Eye One did fix it for me. I would recommend if you get a GretagMacBeth Eye One to run the "Advanced" test and do the ambient light test. Good luck

8. I use the Spyder2Pro. It's made quite a difference in what I see and what I print - as in they're closer to the original shot. I had to explain the monitor calibration concept to potential customers who were browsing my website. After a couple reluctant orders were delivered, the orders came flowing in. I agree with Mike, don't economize. It's just too important for prints.

9. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks to all for the useful advice. :smile: