Monitor calibration

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Electromen, Dec 3, 2005.

1. I've been using Spyder2 Pro for about three weeks. Today before I calibrated I reset the monitor to factory defaults, monitor = Sony SDM-HX93 using a DVI cable.

The difference is noticable. I can hold a lab printed photo next to it and they match, they didn't before.

Hope this helps, Greg

2. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Thanks for the post. I learned it the hard way and got my Gretag Macbeth after I printed 160 photos at the lab and all were quite off from what I saw on screen.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Giles

Giles

Nov 12, 2005
    England
    Does anyone know how Spyder2 compares with the Gretag Macbeth Eye One? I am thinking of buying one or the other, but the Spyder2 is quite a bit cheaper. Are there any significant advantages of the other?

Giles

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Giles,

I'm using the Gretag Macbeth Eye One Display II and can't directly compare with Spyder 2. I remember researching the Internet - as Paul suggested - and chose the Gretag (although I remember that I would have also taken the Spyder, but it wasn't available here).

One thing about the Gretag - it doubles as an ambient light meter, for whatever it's worth. It does help in tuning your ambient light at your workplace which can be nearly equally important for proper color viewing.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Heiko, can you tell me how to use the Ambient Light Sensor?

I just got the GM EyeOne2, but didn't see anything on the use of the ambient light sensor.

8. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hello Steve,

You need to go into the advanced setup menu of the Eye One Match3 software (the s/w you use for calibration). There you have an option to measure ambient light. You need to put the plastic cover that came with it onto the Eye One sensor. There is an on-screen help that shows you how to use the Eye One for ambient light measurement (check the right side of the screen and perhaps use the arrow keys under the help text to see more).

Let me know how it works.

9. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    ok, thanks, now as soon as I get it back from Harris :redface: I'll see if I can find it there. Must've just overlooked it, 'cause I was in the advanced menu.