Monitor Cover

This may seem as ridiculous as a cheap filter over a 200 f/2, but I need some sort of monitor cover to place over what will probably be a Dell U2711. I have begun to look into a new monitor since my 19" Samsung CRT finally died and and currently using an old Samsung SyncMaster 712n until a good price on the U2711 comes up.

I have 5 kids 12 and under and this morning there was a tear, small but noticible, in the 712n. Looks like a fingernail thing but could be a mechanical pencil or the like. After a bit of investigation I was able to determine that "Not Me" was the perpetrator.

I am reluctant to put that much $ into a monitor given the now-demonstrated tear risk. Are there any simple but effective covers out there for such monitors, anti-glare or otherwise?

If you want you can say, "Wait til your youngest is 18 before you buy the U2711." That is another solution I suppose. Thanks for any help.

I understand why no one chimed in, but maybe someone is interested in the plan. A Lexan sheet sufficient to cover the u2711 is about $20. Then it can be modded something like this:

1243964796_PtvGZ-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is still just a plan. I was going to build a frame, borrow a heat gun, and try the cutting and bending myself, but now I think I will try to amuse a local plastic fabricator enough with the job that they will do it for me. We'll see, but be sure to let me know if you see any design defects before I pull the trigger!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I think it is crazy to reduce the quality of your display to protect it.

So I have a different idea. Cut a transparent sheet of plastic a bit bigger than the display and fit a hinge to the top edge of it. Screw the hinge to the top surface of the monitor. Now when you are using it just flip it up. The rest of the time leave it down.

If you have a serious security problem you could fit a padlock...

Y'all rightly still think I'm crazy, but this worked perfectly. Easy on, easy off. Fits the monitor like a glove. $60 fabricated professionally.

jcj_110415_224_filtered-L.jpg

jcj_110415_217-L.jpg

Final specs for the U2711, in case someone else wants to try:

revised%20monitor%20cover%20with%20actual%20dimensions-L.jpg

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom