monitor features question

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by gabriel_felipe, Sep 10, 2008.

1. gabriel_felipe

gabriel_felipe

Apr 26, 2006
    Israel
    I must buy a new monitor and checking o the web I find that there is different conrast for different monitors.
    the highest contrast it's better? 1:8000 it's better than 1:3000? or there is another features that I have to check

thanks for the answers

2. I would say no. High contrast indicates a TN panel, which is great for games, but terrible for images.

Another thing to look at is the response time. If it's quick eg 5ms, again it's great for games, terrible for images.

3. gabriel_felipe

gabriel_felipe

Apr 26, 2006
    Israel
    thanks Damien

so choose one with 1:700 and 14 ms or the other extreme isn't good?

4. 1:700 and 14ms sounds great! What monitor is it?

5. gabriel_felipe

gabriel_felipe

Apr 26, 2006
    Israel
    :redface: :redface: there is not such a monitor... just wanted to go to the extremes for the example

so, low contrast and high speed for the photograph lovers its the conclusion

thanks Damien

6. PaulBennett

PaulBennett

Apr 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Given the blackest object and the whitest object on the monitor...contrast measures the brightness ratio between the two. Since light output is fairly uniform between monitors, contrast has come to define how black is presented. On low contrast monitors such as 700:1 absolute black objects will appear gray or foggy.

For normal web monitoring 700 is quite adequate. For photos, whether static or video, it is poor. You may already know that 8 bits is 255:1 and 9 bits is 511:1 and 1024 means 10 bits, beyond the 700 low contrast figure. If your photos are 12 bits and displayed on a 700:1 contrast monitor, you will not be able to discern the entire range of tonal gradations. A trip to any box or walmart type store with a row of tv will demonstrate the grays of low contrast monitors.

There is no need for the 3000-8000:1 contrast available with plasma monitors but I wouldn't go cheap on a computer monitor used for post processing photos.

7. Gaius

Gaius

Jul 1, 2008
    U.S.A.
    Panel Type

Gabriel:

When I searched for my current monitors, I mostly looked at the panel type rather than the velocity statistics. I bought a Samsung S-PVA and a NEC S-IPS and am quite happy with both. Avoid TN panels for photo editing as the angle of view is too narrow.

This site: http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php specifies the panel type and mfg. for many monitors.

Jim

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.