1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Monitor vs Printer

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by M T Pockets, Aug 6, 2008.

1. M T Pockets

M T Pockets

Jun 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    Maybe I don't see the forest brcause of the trees so I can use a little help. Using Picture Project and CS 2 on the monitor the image is tack sharp. When printed the image looks out of focus. Printer is an Epson 3800. Different papers same problem. Up to now I've had no problems, anyone have any ideas.

Your response is much appreciated.

Gary

2. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    There are tons of calibration techniques out there.

Make sure your editing software, monitor, video card and printer are all using the same ICC profile. Verify you are using the latest drivers for your hardware and get updated patches for your editing software. Sometimes you can update one item and throw something else out of calibration.
    This might sound dumb, but I've heard of this same complaint and it was discovered they were printing on the wrong side of the paper.:Curved:

Here is one specific to your printer. http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/colorbase.html

if all else fails you might try a hardware based calibration package. Most common monitor calibration software such as X-Rite, Datacolor and Pantone products have an additional printer calibration tool. They aren't free add-ons but may keep you from pulling your hair out.

3. M T Pockets

M T Pockets

Jun 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thank you Joe for the reply and the link, it was quite interesting. Color is not the issue. I use a Spyder 3 Elite to calibrate the monitor and Spyder 3 Print to calibrate the printer. The color I see on the monitor is what prints. I tryed the same print on my Epson 1280 printer and the results are the same. The print looks like the camers was slightly out of focus. I assume if was the camera or lense it wouldn't be sharp on the monitor. I'll keep searching and thanks again.

Gary:smile:

4. Do you not sharpen to print? I use Nik Define 2.0 to sharpen before printing. If I did not use some kind of output sharpening the printed image does not come out as sharp as on the screen.

Nancy

5. M T Pockets

M T Pockets

Jun 10, 2008
    Connecticut
    Thank you Nancy. Yes I do Sharpen. I use Picture Project & CS2. I'll get to the bottom of this yet!
    Gary

6. What I mean is output sharpen. I sharpen as part of my workflow 3 times. Once in the beginning, which is global sharpening, then after I have cropped to composition, but this time selectively using NX high pass sharpening, usually that means just the subject's eyes, face, etc., and then 3 output. Define 2.0 only sharpens to print, sharpening differently depending on what type of paper you are using and what printer you are using, ie HP, canon, epson, etc. If that is what you meant, sorry:smile:.

Nancy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.