Monkey selfie photographer says he's broke: 'I'm thinking of dog walking't.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rick_reno, Jul 13, 2017.

1. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Monkey selfie photographer says he's broke: 'I'm thinking of dog walking'

Hard to believe this sort of stuff is happening. PETA sues on behalf of a monkey? And it gets worse - the points of contention were whether PETA had a close enough relationship to the monkey to represent it in court. This is one of those "Zippy, pass the taco sauce, this Ding Dong is a little dry" articles.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  2. clearly, someone at PETA thought they were the monkey's uncle....

3. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    How is this case even being considered under USA jurisdiction?
    The animal lives (or, more probably, lived) in Indonesia; the photograph was shot in Indonesia; and the photographer is a British subject and lives in the UK.

The fair and honourable outcome of this outrageous case would surely be for PETA to be ordered to pay the Photographer's costs in full; plus a considerable sum in damages for the distress and hardship which they have caused by bringing a frivolous lawsuit.

Beware those of us who use crossed laser beams to enable Wasps to fire the shutter automatically to take their own WIFs.
    How many Yellow-jacket descendants are there five years later: and can they prove their parentage and thus their rights to inherit the Copyright?

4. What about when remote shutters miss-fire--do we have the pay the electrons royalty for any photos that may result? :rolleyes::whistle::smuggrin:

5. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    PETE (People for the Ethical Treatment of Electrons) would no doubt handle that one, and if you've ever thought PETA is an odd bunch, you've seen nothing until you've had to deal with PETE.

I don't know, I find this story adding more evidence to my theory that the world has gone batsh*t crazy. It's a monkey who I have to assume lives in the jungle, yet has a name and has somehow sought out legal counsel for photos it took of itself.

6. Hmm... Great Apes should
    have the right to copyright,
    but not some lowly monkey...
    o2.

7. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    PETA is one of the most radical, unethical, self righteous, self serving organizations out there.

8. I just can't believe that you people can be so callous when it comes to such mistreatment of animals. Someone needs to stand up for the downtrodden, the masses that can't defend themselves. How would you feel if you were the Macaque? And where better to file this suit than the Good Old USA? This is EXACTLY what will Make America Great Again, once more proving that we must be the World's Policeman, and the caretaker of those who can't fend for themselves.

Oh, that was SO difficult to write, but I did it anyway. My tongue most certainly is cramped from being stuffed into my check for so long. If there is anyone reading this who has not gotten it yet, in the immortal words of one my hero's, the great Foghorn Leghorn:

I am, however, a big supporter of PETA:
    People for the Eating of Tasty Animals ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Now I've heard everything. Thank goodness my dogs can't take selfies. The white one likes mom best and would undoubtedly sue me!
    DSC_4392.

10. hope they signed model release forms

11. Macaque in 2020? Ooops, make that 2017, eh Bill! :devil::ROFLMAO::D

12. The one on the right looks plain evil :D

13. BrianDW

BrianDW

May 14, 2014
    Portsmouth UK
    Being an animal lover, I thought PETA were the good guys. Clearly they are a 'loony lefty' outfit. Fully agree with the above quote.

14. Al - Both are rescue dogs. The little white one, Curly, only weighed around 5 pounds when we got him and he was infested with fleas. Now he weighs 8 pounds and is doing quite well. He is very devoted and loving with my wife who rescued him.

15. I've never heard anything so stupid! Now I wonder if I should have gotten model releases from the grizzlies, black, and brown bears, oh yeah, I better also think about that pack of wolves.

16. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    >>>>I should have gotten model releases from the grizzlies . . . >>>>

Of course you should — and parental releases too if you shot their children/cubs.
    How very careless of you to fail get those bears to sign model releases.
    :rolleyes:

17. The ones in DC? :LOL::D

18. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Get even, eat more meat!