1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Monmouth County Horse Show-Hunter Jumpers

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by bvonarx, Jul 14, 2008.

1. The picture didn't show up for me

2. These are really nice Brooks. 4 and 5 almost have a 3D look to them. There's something about the shots you guys take with the 2.8 that makes them really stand out. Creamy is the only word I can think of.

Very nice.

3. brooks
    nice job
    glad you are enjoying the 300/2.8

one thing.... i'd go a bit SHORTER for some shots....
    it's nice to see THE WHOLE HORSE AND RIDER... and obstacle in these situations, as well

you did well

4. Brooks, outstanding IQ...I see F4, were you using a TC or did you drop the ap?

5. Thanx, I am just figuring out how best to use this lens, most shots were made at f/4 from appox 50 ft, so there were a lot of millimeters up close.

Thanx, for your thoughts. In this event and from the angle I was shooting that type of composition just did not work for me. I'm trying to express the connection between horse and rider and to my way of thinking you have to shoot it super tight.

Thanx, no TC yet baby steps for now. I shot f/4 but in hind sight f/5.6 may have yielded better DOF for nose(horse) to nose(rider) coverage, lesson of the day.

6. Great Pics Brooks. . Glad you like the 300mm

7. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Good point, Brooks. Thanks. I'll find out tonight for sure, but I might be shooting some barrel racing for the first time next week.

Nice series, btw. :biggrin:

8. Great shots. Wish I could lift a 300 f/2.8!

9. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    Nice Brooks. You are getting along with the 300/2.8

10. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Brooks.....WOW!!! What else can I say? :biggrin:

I bet the folks at that riding club have never seen anything this, eh?

11. Love it, only wish I had one sooner, now I just have to learn to use it properly

That sounds like fun, look forward to seeing your results

Many thanx, I could not either for very long so I use a monopod, no excuses now.

Thanx Alex, I love it. Now I'm trying to get used to to following/anticipating action with that limited angle of view, need lots of practice.

Thanx Dennis, it did cause a stir at first, but they got used to it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.