Monmouth Park, NJ Horse Race Images

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Anthony747, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Hi All, The weather was beautiful today so I headed to my local horse race track here in New Jersey, Monmouth Park. This track is the home to the 2007 Breeders' Cup in October.

Thanks for looking!
    Anthony

mp1.

mp2.

Jocky Ramon Dominguez
    mp3.

mp4.

2. Nice, I live just down the road apiece and have always wanted to go to the park and shoot, any special passes required to get in close?

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice Anthony, I have enjoyed this series. The candid of Dominguez is really nice. I've also wanted to shoot horse racing, I just may have to head to Arlington Park and give it a try.

4. No special pass required, just a 70-200mm VR :)

Anthony

5. Hi Frank, I know nothing about horse racing is Dominguez a famous jockey? He was signing a few autographs.

Anthony

6. I love the second and third picture, looks like the jokey is betting :smile:

7. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Nice captures, Anthony.

My company had our Christmas party at Tampa Bay Downs last December and it was a lot of fun. It was the first time I had been to a horse track.

Just an FYI for bvonarx and others interested in shooting at tracks:

Toward the end of the party I went down track side and took a few photos and on my way back in I was approached by security, asking if I had permission to be shooting.

I explained that I was there just shooting for our company party and wanted to capture some images of the atmosphere at trackside, which they were ok with. He explained they have a "track photographer" and that in the future I need to get permission prior to shooting.

I know this had to be due to my gear, beacuse there were a ton of folks with point and shoots there and nothing being said to them.

8. Thank you Dude!

9. Hi JMartin, Nothing like that at this great track. I had two cameras with me around my neck, the D200 with the 70-200mm VR and my D70 with my 12-24mm so I really stood out. You can even bring coolers stuffed with beer and food.

Anthony

10. Anthony,

Looks good ! How far were you from the actual track ? Wast 70-200 long enough ?

Did you try panning method ?

I have to give this place a try in next couple of weeks.

11. Beautiful horses, beautiful shots Anthony. In the right hands, that 70-200 VR is one fine piece of machinery, ain't she?

12. Hi JJ, Panning is my next attempt next time I visit. The 70-200mm was perfect for me. Did you know that the 2007 Breeders Cup race will be at this track in October.

Anthony

13. Thanks Harry! The 70-200mm VR is almost always attached to my D200.

Anthony