Monopod advice needed.

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by bhodisatva, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Never having used a monopod in my life (always been a dedicated tripod user) i think maybe it's about time i started/aquired one. I know there must be a few people on here that use them so looking for some advice as to what to look out for on one.

I guess the same names as for tripod manufacturers will come up, ie Velbon, Slik, Manfrotto etc but is one monopod actually better than the other or are they all pretty much the same? Cheers -

2. Size, weight, materials, number of extensions, etc. all play a part. For my money the Manfrotto 685B Neotec is the best. Fast, automatic, tall, strong, and not too heavy (it isn't CF).

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have a Manfrotto 683B...inexpensive and works real nice.

4. Will be used for a D200 fitted with an 18-200VR and occasionally an SB-800.

5. I have a Manfrotto 679B all decked out the way Really Right Stuff recommends. I'm not sure that carbon fiber is really necessary for a monopod.

6. Roy, I have the Neotec Manfrotto monopod with the RRS setup David linked in his response. I too have the D200 and use the 80-200 / 300 F4 and SB-800 flash with the monopod and love it. It's a good setup (at least for me) and is quick to collapse or adjust on the fly. I have had great success using it at zoos where some animals force you to recompose and adjust.

-Eugene

7. David D. Busch

David D. Busch

Apr 30, 2006
    Midwest
    I use a Manfrotto 694 CF monopod. When I am fussy about sharpness, I use it for virtually everything shot with a non-VR lens, at shutter speeds up to 1/500th second (or with even faster shutter speeds for lenses longer than 200mm.)

8. I use a Gitzo CF 1257. It's a must when hauling around the big glass :wink:

9. lisantica

lisantica

Jul 4, 2006
    So. Calif.
    I have two monopods, but I use my Manfrotto 3245 monopod almost exclusively.
    It's one of those trigger handles at the top. I put a Wimberley quick release plate on it and have plates on all my heavy lenses.
    I like this combination. I can squeeze the handle and gently crouch down when I need low shots, then squeeze again and the monopod drops into place becoming tall again.
    Let us know what you decide and how it's working out. There are all sorts of great monopods and combinations out there, hope you find one that works for you and your gear.

Lisa

10. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    I use a Gitzo monopod (their travel one), but honestly I think manfrotto will do fine. The only difference would be build quality, but I do not think vibrations plays a big role in this case (so Carbon Fiber only really helps for weight, not performance).

If you are on a budget, I think the manfrottos should be fine. One thing to consider is how you plan to work the head (static head or ballhead or swivel).

11. Thanks for the replies so far, i really need to get down to a "loaded" camera shop and try a couple i think.

That was going to be my next question :biggrin: I suppose again each has its own merits and would depend on what you were going to use it for?.

12. I definitely recommend going to a store with a good selection and trying them out as this is largely a matter of personal preference and what feels good to you. I went to B&H to get the Neotec and tried a few others. Came home and ordered a Gitzo 3530 which I love. Feisol in China makes a couple of relatively inexpensive CF models that are also pretty good. You can order directly from them.

13. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yah. I usually use a acratech ballhead on mine. I think if I had extra money, the BH-25 would work too from reallyexpensivestuff.com. I mean. www.reallyrightstuff.com.

:)

I heard people say that on really heavy lens, they don't bother with a ballhead. For others, they don't end up needing to change the angle for their ballhead anyway, so they never use a ballhead.

I think you have to try it out yourself and see what works for you. A ballhead is nifty if you have a light combo and can rest it against a tree... then the ballhead lets you angle it to be a straight shot. :)

14. Thanks for the input folks, i have been given the opportunity to "test drive" a Manfrotto 679B fitted with a 234RC swivel/Tilt head and quick release, (now if i can only persuade someone [strike]gullible[/strike] kind enough to lend me a D200 fitted with an 18-200VR then i can really get the feel of it :biggrin: Will feed back and let you know how it goes/ whether i decide to go with that combo.