Monopod advice

I'm looking at the Manfrotto 679 Mono as a cheap, light alternative to my tripod when I'm O&A.

Does anyone like/dislike this mono?

Do I need a seperate head too? or does the camera bolt straight on?

Input appreciated :cool:

fks

hi jim-

it's a solid monopod, but a bit on the heavy side. i haven't had any problems with mine, and i've used it to carry a 300mm f/2.8MF and D2H.

your camera or lenses will mount directly to the tripod (it takes both 3/8" and 1/4"). for a little more flexibility, you might want to get a 3232 head for a little more flexibility (check out http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html).

ricky

Mounting the camera/lens directly to the top will cause lots of headaches (and back aches!). A two degree of freedom mini head is best. A ball head will tend to flop all over; it gives you too many degrees of freedom.

Rich

Thanks for the advice,

I've found the 234 and 234RC.
The Bogen 3232 looks almost identical to them?!?

I calculate about 800 grammes for the whole monopod and head, which isn't too bad for £60/$120 - especially as my Tripod comes it at over 4Kg!!

I use a Manfrotto 681, which slightly heavier duty than the 679. I wouldn't be without it, particularly with my 300mm f/4. I strongly recommend the Manfrotto tilting head 234 (or 234RC with quick release) which is easy to use and works very well.

Alan

I use a Manfrotto 681, which slightly heavier duty than the 679. I wouldn't be without it, particularly with my 300mm f/4. I strongly recommend the Manfrotto tilting head 234 (or 234RC with quick release) which is easy to use and works very well.

Alan

Good choice - I use the 680B with the 234RC and a few luggage straps tied round it (for tying onto railings, lamp-posts etc). Spent 2 weeks in the USA with it this month instead of taking my tripod. I reckon I only missed 2 shots (out of 800) through lack of support.

Latest threads

Top Bottom