Monopod extension ideas sought

I like to wander through the woods nearby and shoot birds in the trees. The current Monopod I use, the Manfrotto 680 B, just doesn't hack it when I need to get nearby birds. I've fashioned an extension from hardware I bought at Home Depot. It's sturdy enough, but it oscillates. What I'd like is a 6" aluminum billet about 1-1/2" in diameter with 3/8" female threads drilled in both ends. Does anyone know where to buy/have one made? I can drill and tap the holes as I have a heavy duty drill press, but it would be nicer to just buy one.

154477715-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks, Rich

Real Name
Chris
I don't know of anything that you can get ready-made like that Rich. Your idea of putting studs in a rod sounds like the best solution. It wouldn't even be too expensive finding some metal shop to do it for you. For added stability, you might want to get the bottom end of the thing threaded to replace the plate your thing screws into. That way, the weak point won't be the (relatively) thin stud between the monopod and your device.

The thread at the top of the monopod is a nice size (3/8") and if I use a large diameter aluminum billet that should be good enough. I have leftover 3/8" threaded rod from the rig in the picture so I can cut a nice long piece to fit deeply into the billet. With a wide enough billet there shouldn't be twisting which would jeapordise the assemply. Steel, of course, would be much too heavy.

Thanks, Rich

Real Name
Chris
... Steel, of course, would be much too heavy. ...
Oh yeah! Aluminum is perfect for this application. But wouldn't a lathe-turned 3/4" brass dowel look good! :Wink:

All one piece, with a knurled surface for grip. Black annodized.

Now I'm startin' to sweat. I really envy you guys with a metal shop in the garage. :Glasses::cool::wink:

Oh yeah! Aluminum is perfect for this application. But wouldn't a lathe-turned 3/4" brass dowel look good! :Wink:

All one piece, with a knurled surface for grip. Black annodized.

Now I'm startin' to sweat. I really envy you guys with a metal shop in the garage. :Glasses::cool::wink:

Not quite, but I have a 10" 10hp Grizzley table saw, 14" drill press and 14" band saw...oh yeah, and my wife's Acura.

Rich

Do you have an IKEA near you? They have different sizes of legs for their furniture that they sell separately. From about 4" to 8" I think. Made out of aluminum with a threaded hole right down the middle. The thread is bigger than 3/8" but you can figure out a way to adapt it.

I have a 10" grizzly too. I've never used it to cut aluminum, so if it works, let me know :wink:

DAB

I found the appropriate 6" leg section from IKEA. The thread was so close to 3/8-16" I just tapped a new thread. Here is a shot of the assembly. Does that look sexy Chris?

154884185-L-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The top contains only one internal nut; the bottom is hollow. I used a 3/8" threaded rod into the 3232; it goes through the leg down into a 3/8" hex collar with stopping nut above it at the bottom. The Manfrotto twists into the 3/8" hex collar lower opening. Ba da bing!

Rich

You are a brave and trusting man Rich, to hang your big hunk of camera equipment off that thing. I would think that the long threaded rod would be the weak point - keep your eye on it!

DAB

You are a brave and trusting man Rich, to hang your big hunk of camera equipment off that thing. I would think that the long threaded rod would be the weak point - keep your eye on it!

DAB

In partially disassembling the monopod I discovered that the top nut assembly is held on with a rolled sheet metal cross rivet...no threads or screws.:eek: The extension is a 3/8" bolt all the way from the 3232 through to the monopod head. The sleeve surrounding and steadying the bolt is stainless steel. I suspect that the monopod would collapse first.

Thanks, Rich

Latest threads

Top Bottom