Monopod for 80-200 AFS

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Glas, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    I just secured an AFS (awaiting shipping), now I need to get myself a monopod, I really have no clue what to get, went to B&H's site, there are hundred of choices :confused: some with head, some without, I read bout clamp, plates and I'm more confused than before I started. I'm aware that the lens come with tripod collar so what do I get next, I'll be using it for sports, no way can I handheld this beast for hours. I'm willing to shell out $175 for monopod + etc (not sure what else I need), [I'm able to purchase from B&H,Amazon or Adorama ]

Thanks for any advice you could give me

Lim

2. Lim,

A decent Bogen monopod or any carbon fiber (CF) monopod should be able to hold your 80-20 AFS and camera with ease.
    You shouldn't run into any weight capacity problems until you start getting into fast (<f/2.8), longer (300mm+) telephotos.
    Bogen has a Neotec line of monopods that lets you change height easily with just one hand. I had one and it does work. I believe it only comes on a metal monopod. I chose the Feisol CF monopod for its smaller folded length and light weight.
    Some Bogen monopods have pull out feet such that the monopod can be standalone. I had one with this handy feature, but it's nowhere near as stable as a tripod. When using the pull out feet, you should be at arms reach at all times for safety purposes.

Having a quick release (QR) plate makes it easier and quicker to attach and detach the monopod. If you have a QR plate system for your tripod, it makes sense to stay with that system for your monopod. To me, it seems that most people use the Arca-Swiss type QR or the Bogen QR system. Arca-Swiss is probably the more "pro level" as RRS's and Kirk's higher end gear are compatible with that system.

The tripod collar on your 80-200 can mount directly to the screw at the top of the monopod. The collar will let you swivel from horizontal to vertical (portrait) orientation. Many people add a swivel head to the top of the monopod to allow the lens to be tilted up/down as well.
    Bogen 3232 and 3229 are used depending on which QR system you use. The 3232 requires an additional clamp with an Arca Swiss QR interface. The 3229 has the Bogen QR clamp built-in.

Bogen 3232: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5498-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3232_3232_Swivel_Tilt_Head.html
    Bogen 3229: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5491-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3229_3229_Swivel_Tilt_Head.html

Arca-Swiss QR compatible clamps are made by numerous manufacturers (RRS, Wimberley, etc.).
    I bought one on eBay for about $46 shipped from an outfit called Newtech and it works fine.
    Wimberley clamp: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/205332-REG/Wimberley_C10_C_10_Small_Add_On_Quick.html
    Newtech clamp: http://cgi.ebay.com/Newtech-2-5-Qui...ryZ30091QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A small sized ballhead can also be used on top of a monopod. I've used the relatively small Markins M10 in the past. I believe RRS makes a smaller ballhead.

Hope this helps.

3. Hi Lim. Everything Glenn said is right on. I had a Feisol CF that I used with the 80-200/2.8 and it worked great. There are 2 models, I had the larger one. If possible, try a few out in a store to see what feels best to you.

For the head, I use the Bogen 3232 swivel and RRS clamp. RRS sells this all set up for you with the swivel so all you have to do is attach it to the monopod. Very easy. I believe Kirk does the same.

Good luck.

4. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    You don't need a CF monopod for an 80-200. I have a Bogen 680B that I use with my 300 2.8, and know of people using it with 400 2.8s. It folds down to a short length which is good too. I don't use a clamp on mine, but I am thinking about getting one soon, I would get jut an RRS clamp and pla for my lens

5. I'll second Andrew's nomination for the Manfrotto 680B. I use the Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head on it. It's an affordable and effective solution for my 80-200/2.8.

6. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Thank you guys, now it's shopping time :BigGrin::biggrin:

7. About the only other factor in your shopping might be whether you like lever clips or twist knobs for the height adjustment
    (assuming you don't go with the Neotec).

8. strawman

strawman

Mar 24, 2006
    Missoula, MT
    I know it's a shameless plug but I have a Feisol Carbon Fiber monopod with the Bogen 3232 head and Kirk clamp for sale in the Buy/Sell forum. Just like new.

9. I have the Manfrotto 681B and now I use it with the Manfrotto 322RC2 Grip Action Ball Head, which is smooooooth.

Whats so great about it is that the quick release mount can be moved to different locations on the body. You can either place it on top to grip the trigger vertically, or you can place the place the quick release on the sides and grip the trigger horizontally.

I use it with my 80-200 and 300 f4.

10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I have a 680B as well....it's a fine monopod.

11. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Lim, the 80-200 is not big or heavy...My advice would be to save the money, put it toward a 300mm f/2.8 and THEN get a monopod. :wink:

12. It's not real heavy, but after shooting all day it gets tiresome. Plus, your shots will consistently be sharper with more support.

13. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    The AF-S 80-200mm is around 3.3 pounds :eek: I know I won't be able to hold it steady hours on end without any support , I nailed a Neotec 685B from the for sale forum and hopefully will ship today :Wink: As much as I want the 300 2.8, I may need to sell a kidney first :tongue: :866: