Monopod Head For Sports Shooting?

I bought a tilt head that is a cheap Chinese knock off of the Manfrotto version. It has double the capacity of Manfrotto's advertised capacity. Unfortunatley, it is not available anymore. I prefer the tilt heads over the ball head because I am essentially limited on a front to back movement.

I find it interesting that on the bottom of the page appear ads for tilt heads and monopods. Subscribing members probably do not see them. ;)

Real Name
Ian
Ball head with a big lens like a 400 2.8 is not good. Let that go and ouch
I just adjust the tension setting on the ballhead so that when loose, the lens/camera doesn't flop around. Granted, my "heavy" lens is a 300/2.8, but I haven't had any issues.

I do have a tilt head but an unusual choice (which actually works surprisingly well if you are shooting for an extended period with a heavy lens/camera rig from a small outboard-motored boat) is a Wimberley Gimbal on a short monopod.
The use of a lens collar with a gimbal (so that you mount the lens to get perfect balance) works well on dry land as well and makes handling really heavy equipment much less strenuous.

Real Name
Eric
i have a monostat monopad with a flexible foot, so thats the one thing.

the other thing i am using sometimes is a small and light gimbal head on the monopod,
like a wimberley but the Weight is only 770 gramm (12lb) and
it works fine for me (birds in flight and sometimes horse jumping)

it is this one:
Jobu DesignBWG-J3K Jobu Jr.3 Gimbal Kit with Swing-Arm HM-J2

here are some pics from it, i use the combo often with the D500+500PF VR, but it also works with my 400/2.8E (only tested with the big prime but it works)
44431918825_cc25cd27cf_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

44431918405_84a236a63e_b.jpg

45295298132_f625710f60_b.jpg

Real Name
Ian
For heavier lenses, this is a very precarious solution....IMHO....
What is precarious, using any type of head, or using a ballhead vs. a monopod head? If the later, what makes the monopod head any "safer" than a ballhead that has an adjustable tension setting?

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
When even slightly loosened with a heavy lens, a ball head allows movement in any direction. A monopod head designed for heavier lenses only allows for forward and back motion.....horizontal adjustment is by turning the monopod. Randy, I and others have experienced this. A gimbal head is also a great solution.

When even slightly loosened with a heavy lens, a ball head allows movement in any direction. A monopod head designed for heavier lenses only allows for forward and back motion.....horizontal adjustment is by turning the monopod. Randy, I and others have experienced this. A gimbal head is also a great solution.
Hmmm....
Lot's of good suggestions in this thread...THANKS FOLKS!!!

Real Name
Randy
+1
A gimbal on a monopod can be difficult to manage

Real Name
Eric
+1
A gimbal on a monopod can be difficult to manage
Yes you are right, but for every solution is one thing necessary: praktice praktice, practice ;)

i don`t like ball heads in anyway, so i would prefer on a monopod:
a. nothing (direct on the monopod) or a one way solution, like the kirk MPA-2 or the Sirui L-10 or when you are plannning to do often moving subjects, a little gimbal.

but that is only my solution. perhaps you may have a look on this youtube video from steve perry:

Latest threads

Top Bottom