Monopod head

I use my 300 f2.8 on a monopod...screwed directly to the foot plate. It works fine for football, softball and the like...but....

I am heading to EAA in a few weeks and am thinking that having a swivel head of some type on the monopod would be helpful. I do not want to drag the tripod in....but can if necessary.

Anyone have a swivel head attached between the monopod base that foot of your long lenses? Pictures of said assembly would be most helpful and appreciated.

Now that i think of it, it may b better to ask in the birding section. :confused:

T

topher04r1

i've used the 3232 head with my 300 and it works just fine

OK...that's cool....this one?

554096.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

$20 at B&H

I like this one with the quick release...have you ever used this version?

554098.jpg

$35 at B&H

I you use Arca-Swiss type lens/camera plates - here's a solution from Really Right Stuff (a little over the top, as usual from them, but once you forget what you paid, you're always happy :redface: )

They also have nice instructions on how to use the Bogen swivel with an Arca Swiss style clamp here.

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
Not sure I understand what you mean by swivel head. I assume you are referring to vertical to horizontal axis rather than left to right.

If so, then count me among those who never quite understood why one would put a head like the RRS one on a monopd if the lens has a tripod collar as your 300/2.8 does. If you want to switch between vertical and horizontal with the 300/2.8, why not just rotate the rig in the tripod collar? Certainly is a lot fast and a lot easier than using the head to achieve the result.

I have shot sideline sports from a monopod for many years without such a head. For that matter, have you ever seen a pro photographer shooting sports who actually uses such a head?

I do like to have quick release capability, so I did mount a RRS clamp on the monopd without using any head. Most guys just screw the pod into the lens, but with the new VR long glass, I like to be able to quicky release the stick if I want to take a hand held shot.

Of course, if you are planning on mounting a camera/lens combination that does NOT have a tripod collar on the stick , then the head makes sense to quickly and effortlessly flop the aspect.

I do like to have quick release capability, so I did mount a RRS clamp on the monopd without using any head.

Similar to you, I use a Wimberley clamp mounted directly on the Gitzo stick (with round base removed) for auto racing, but Randy was asking about use at an air show.

I am looking to pan the camera up and down....right now, without anything you can swivel right to left and all is good. Switching from horizontal to vertical is done with the collar as you have noted....

I you use Arca-Swiss type lens/camera plates - here's a solution from Really Right Stuff (a little over the top, as usual from them, but once you forget what you paid, you're always happy :redface: )

They also have nice instructions on how to use the Bogen swivel with an Arca Swiss style clamp here.

OK Thats pretty cool too. Until I saw the price....holy carp! $260 bucks!

MH01LR.gif

Ah....and the combination of the two......

monopod-lens.gif

West coast of FL (formerly Westchester County, NY)
"...but Randy was asking about use at an air show."

Ah - had no idea what the intials stood for. Guess I should have looked at the guy's avatar, huh?

If he is trying to shoot overhead, then I withdraw my criticism of the head on a monopod. Obviously easier to use a single axis head.

T

topher04r1

GBR ....the only quick release i would use is the RSS one .. yes it's expensive but so is an 8000 $ lens ..... I just dont trust the el-cheap-o one from b&h

Randy for an air show why not drag the tripod with a gimbal head. Just don't rent a 600/4 to mount on it. May be mistaken for a terrorist with a tripod mounted 50 cal.

OK...that's cool....this one?

554096.jpg

$20 at B&H

I like this one with the quick release...have you ever used this version?

554098.jpg

$35 at B&H

Hi Randy,

I've used the $20 swivel(shown above) with an RRS lever clamp shooting the NFL a couple of years ago using a 400 2.8. I used it for the entire season to give it a real test. For my use I found the combo to not work for me. The lens is really to heavy for this combo, so last season, I just mounted lens to the pod with just the RRS lever clamp. After talking with someone that actually has the MH-01, I ordered the new RRS swivel and hope to get it before the first preseason game(8 Aug). It's on back order. The initial batch(new in JUNE) from RRS is sold out. I'm told that the first batch lasted less than 2 weeks on the website and I missed getting the last one by minutes! I was put on waiting list on 16 JUN and told to contact them the week of 21 JUL for status. The 300 that you use is a lot lighter so I don't know if you would need the RRS, but I do. So I have the swivel just sitting around. If you want it, make me an offer. It's set up to take an RRS clamp, but I can put it back to the way it was to screw it directly to your lens.

Real Name
Randy
i use the 3232 on the rrs b-pro clamp,works great
i was thinking about the new rrs head/clamp tho, it's the best

K

kjohansen

I use a monopod for shooting action type things.. My ball head of choice is the Really Right Stuff bh-40. Awesome ball head, I have had it for about 3 years and still works like new. :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom