Monopod heads...

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Donzo98, May 15, 2007.

1. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Are any of you using a lever release clamp on top of your monopod?? RRS recommends a screw clamp rather than a lever release.

What do you think??

2. Snipps

Snipps

Oct 7, 2006
    I don't use one, btu I have considered it and would get a screw knob if I did.

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Yes, I use the RRS lever clamp on my monopod. I prefer it so, along with my L plate, I can switch quickly between vertical and horizontal shots.

4. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I think the concern from RRS's point of view is that the lever release could catch on something like a shirt and open at a really bad time!! :eek: :eek: I have a LR clamp coming in the mail.... not sure if I should keep it or return it for the screw clamp.

5. check out the Manfrotto 222 Joystick Grip Action, Quick Release... by the way, for larger glass you may find that is better just to bolt the lens to the monopod without a head... a fellow down my way uses a 400/2.8 on a monopod this way.

[​IMG]

6. Don,

I sue the Manfrotto 679, with 234 tilt swivle and RRS screw clamp jsut for the reason stated, it's hard to snag and accidently come undone. I like it and don't find unscrewing to be a major hassle.

7. i think this is the option mark mentions, which i also have.. from RRS

[​IMG]

8. That's it Bob.

9. HHARRIS

HHARRIS

May 1, 2007
    So Cal
    When I was setting up my monopod RRS pushed the lever clamp(wich is great). I mount the camera on the lever clamp so that the lever is under the lense so the smooth part is in the back of the camera. Never had any problems snagging anything. I also carry my monopod over my shoulder while moving positions in the field. As SRA said, switching between landscape and portrait mode is a snap! I also use the Manfrotto 3232 between my clamp and monopod. I say clamp.
    Hope this helps

HHARRIS
    :)

10. Pete

Pete

Jun 10, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Don,
    I ordered the small lever release clamp from RRS. It was the B2-40 and it should be arriving later this week. The standard lever release seems large on the monopod and I think the smaller one will be much better. I do not trust either clamp when carrying the rig on my shoulder so I hold onto the strap just in case... I will let you know how the small clamp works out.

BTW the small lever clamp is not on the website, just in the new catalog.
    Pete

11. I use just the Wimberley C-10 clamp on my monopod and so far that has worked very well for me. I have seen others discussing the Manfrotto 3232, too, for adding the ability to tilt, but I have not actually tried that yet.

12. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I ordered the B2LLR II which is the longer (80mm) lever release clamp. I plan to use the 200-400 on it so the longer platform should be better. I will keep you posted.

13. i think i was mistaken when i mentioned a guy bolting his 400/2.8 to the monopod.. in retrospect and based on Connie's post... i seem to recall it was something like a Wimberley C-10 and an wimberley plate on the 400/2.8, because he uses a flash bracket which must be attached to the lens plate...

i believe a flash bracket is a must, i use one for fill always.

14. That would make sense, yes.... I have Wimberley plates on all of my long lenses and then use the Wimberley II gimbal head on the tripod as well as the RRS BH-55 ballhead, so it just seemed logical to pop a C-10 on the monopod for quick-release there. The camera bodies have the RRS L-brackets as well.

15. travelerx

travelerx

May 19, 2006
    Finland
    A few weeks ago I got my monopod and the Manfrotto tilt. I planning to purchase a screw knob clamp on the tilt. I think a screw knob clamp is better because it is easier to open the clamp just a little bit to make small adjustments to balance the setup.

16. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    You can do the same thing with the lever release clamps.... there are three stops... fully closed... halfway closed... and fully open.

At the half way closed stop you can make adjustments.

17. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    Here is my new set up... Gitzo 5540, Manfrotto 3232 swivel and RRS B2 LLR II clamp. Expensive as hell... but AWESOME!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Does anyone know if RRS is the only place to get the 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 reducer bushing? I'd hate to place on order for only one $5 item and they're out of stock of the Bogen 3232 swivel heads.

19. Donzo98

Donzo98

Nov 10, 2005
    Merrick, NY
    I may have one for you. If so... I will send it free!! I will look for it tomorrow. :biggrin:

20. Wow cool and thanks!!