Monopod: self-standing bogen 682b question??

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Chayelle, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Anyone use the Bogen/Manfrotto 682b or other name:
    Bogen-Manfrotto Self-Standing Pro Monopod?

How does it work for you? Does it give a bit of stability over the monopod alone?
    or is this just a gimic?
    thanks...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  2. Mike S

Mike S

Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle, WA USA
    I don't have one but IMO it looks weird. I'm not sure I'd trust that with my camera / lens attached. Good luck. :smile:

3. I wouldn't use it for anything that would really require the monopod...i.e. don't even think about using it with a 300/2.8 or anything like that... but I can see using it for a quick support for say a D300 and a small prime if the wind is calm...mostly I use it when I deploy the legs as a stand for an off camera flash.

4. Thanks Harrison...
    I was wondering how it would do for this...
    I had thought possibly to use this with the D200 and the 150 sigma lens
    to try to be a bit steadier for macro. Handholding is not quite steady enough for sharp pics for me...
    And the monopod does not seem to be as stable either, too much movement...
    I am so used to the stability of a tripod.

5. Yes, Mike...
    I do want to be able to trust the tripod not to fall over....
    too expensive if it did!

6. I think with that combo if you aren't there to support it well it will fall, but if you're still there supporting it the whole time you'll probably get a bit more stability. Are you using some sort of head on the monopod?

7. Had the legs on my 680B for a few weeks - and then i threw them away. I actually threw them in the bin - didn't try and sell them as I thought that lowly about them.

They're noisy - when folded inside the tube they rattle around when walking - very annoying.
    They're heavy - can't remeber the acual weight, somewhere in the 0.5 kg mark which doesn't seem like a lot, but it all adds up. And if you don't use them then you're carry something you don't use you have to ask yourself why.
    They're awkward - putting up and taking down, you have to turn the pod upside down - with a big lens attached this gets awkward. Unscrew the legs and flip around - PITA.
    They're unstable - the legs wobble and the whole thing is an accident waiting to happen.

My advice - avoid them.

8. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

And from me, completely the opposite opinion and experience.

I've used this combo for years...to support cameras, flash, flash + umbrella, multiple flash plus umbrella plus external battery.

I've seen many, many posts decrying its usage in all this time, but for the most part either from photographers who have never used it or cannot get accustomed to its usage/fear to trust it (a healthy fear to have of course, and you would not want to leave it on its own where people/children would get too close - but then you would not even have the option with a normal monopod).

I've used it to support a D2x + 70-200VR without problem at events, and regularly use it for a more flexible studio support for the camera when I need movement where a traditional tripod would be cumbersome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2008
  9. Harrison...
    I don't have a head yet...
    The monopod is a new concept, so I have tried it sans head...
    I use the wimberley qr clamp...
    Do think a head would help with the usage I have though.
    Need a bit of flexibility in the movement up and down for my lens(es) for flowers, bugs...and so on.

Do you have any thoughts about the head?

10. Simon...
    I thank you very much for these comments...
    They are quite informational coupled with the other comments.
    Had thought this might prove to be a lighter weight and quicker setup than a tripod...
    but......

11. Wow, Peter...
    thanks for this input. Now with a positive side this is helpful, very much so!

As this is a monopod I would not actually remove my hands from the pod/camera,
    just as if it were a monopod without the legs, but to get the stability for a shot.

12. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

That's a perfect use for it, takes the weight off your hands/removes the need to balance the setup and flexible movement with it.

13. Thanks Peter, this is what I wondered...

14. exitnine

exitnine

Jun 5, 2008
    Boston, MA
    I will go for a 13' bogen light stand and use it with couple of bogen super clamp. More secure and safe.

15. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Now that is a stand I would certainly hesitate to try with a DSLR + heavy zoom/telephoto which is what the OP was asking about :wink:

And I've found that these light-stands - superb as they are for controlled/studio shoots - are nowhere near as flexible or safe for my purposes on events.

Each to his/her own though - that's what makes it so good learning from everyone's experience here.

16. Yes, Peter, I too would be hesitant about the stability of a light stand with
    super clamps and my gear...

thanks for your input exitnine...