Monopod Suggestions?

Hi.
I'm going to be shooting a good deal of sports in the next two years at school. I'm going to start at least with the 70-200 VR, then a 300mm f/4 (based on reviews maybe with a replacement Kirk's collar), and eventually get other big lenses, but I'm asking for recommendations in this range of lens weight. I currently shoot a D70 and will likely upgrade to the d100 successor when it is released, and I will get a battery grip for it if available.
I was wondering if you could give me some pointers about a monopod for shooting our school's champion teams with some semblance of steadiness :)
I'm new to the whole monopod thing, so any general pointers as well are appreciated.

Harrison,

I have one, and use it for shooting flying birdies. It's a Bogen / Manfrotto 679, and you can get it from B&H for about $40. Weighs slightly over a lb, and holds my D2H / 300 2.8 + TC with no prob. See this link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&A=details&Q=&sku=5249&is=REG

You might also want to look at this set-up:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/tutorials/monopods/index.html

You can actually get this combo from B&H. Here's the link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mp;A=details&Q=&sku=254606&is=REG

How about some tips on technique?

Guess I need to wander south and take one of Ron's seminars or something.

My long lens technique needs work. I have trouble at 200 mm, let alone anything longer.

One thing I've been trying is extending a monopod out ahead of me at an angle, then leaning into it a wee bit. Seems to help some.

Jeff,

These are just straps that I had from camera bags or old suitcases. Nothing special.

Note that I'm actually using two straps. The first is pulled tight around my back, and is used to provide a stable shooting position. The second goes over one shoulder, and is used like a sling to carry the monopod and cam / lens.

Works great. 8)

I will try that. I often have a small backpack on, and I could loop a strap through the front of the harness.

What's with the arm over the lens thing? I have read about that here and there.

I tend to take the lean against something and press or mount on a tripod and don't touch approaches. Neither are obviously not the best.

One problem I have is a bit of a tremor in my hands. From about 135 mm up I see quite a bit of shake even in the viewfinder unless I have VR turned on, and even then I often see camera shake blurring.

Beezle said:
I will try that. I often have a small backpack on, and I could loop a strap through the front of the harness.

What's with the arm over the lens thing? I have read about that here and there.

I tend to take the lean against something and press or mount on a tripod and don't touch approaches. Neither are obviously not the best.

One problem I have is a bit of a tremor in my hands. From about 135 mm up I see quite a bit of shake even in the viewfinder unless I have VR turned on, and even then I often see camera shake blurring.

Ed,

The arm over the lens is for two things. First, it helps me track flying birdies more smoothly. Second, it helps dampen vibrations.

Like you I have trembly hands (I get it from my mother). For that reason, I have to shoot from either a monopod or a tripod (or lean up against a tree or something), but strictly hand held doesn't work for me.

I recently purchased a Feisol carbon fibre monopod and I am very pleased with it. I am using it with a cheap ballhead that I would like to replace but I don't know what with yet,

linm

Hi AFS,
I have tried several monopods.... I just got the new Manfrotto 684B. It's the best ever because there are no clips or things to turn...Just use the gripper at the top and it pops up or goes down and locks..It's pretty incredible.

You can adjust the height just by gripping the gripper and pushing it down to the height you want... so easy with a big lens on it..no problem at all and makes it really easy and safe to use...

I also use it with Frank's strap setup...that makes it sure that it won't fall down..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...mp;A=details&Q=&sku=336193&is=REG

I will be using it with the D2X and the 200-400VR with the Wimberly Sidekick. and of course, Frank's clever strap setup.

Best to you,

Gaye

Hi Robin,
I use the Strap Pod often. It works fine but it doesn't take the place of a monopod..It's use is for when you can't take a monopod-- museums, traveling etc. It's a very useful thing and I keep it in my bag all the time..

Best to you,
Gaye

get the gitzo 1588...the best and can hold a lot of load...

its better to pay for better supports in the beginning then later have to upgrade to the better one...once you buy it you can use it forever

i did that mistake and wasted money...

Agree but...

I agree Phat. I bought an Adorama Quick-style monopod and I never liked it; not very sturdy. However, I recently upgraded to the Feisol. I had been looking at the Gitzo you mentioned but I liked the Feisol price. So far, I haven't been disappointed! Now I'm thinking of going with their tripod, too. (to replace a Bogen/Manfrotto).

I'd like to replace the head I have on the Monopod. At the moment, I am using a cheap ballhead. I'd like something that is simple and light. I have a L-Bracket on my camera so I just need the ability to adjust for uneven ground, better support, etc. Suggestions?

Lin

R

Robin Horlock

Thanks Gaye,
I am always looking to lighten my load. I think it would
be good to have just in case, the stick is not allowed.

Cheers,
Robin

Latest threads

Top Bottom