1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Monopod vs Tripod

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by argross, Jul 17, 2008.

1. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    I would like to understand how and when to use a monopod vs when to use a tripod. Specifically, in what situations would you use a monopod, rather than a tripod, and vv? It seems that a monopod would not work for long exposures, since it wouldn't be sufficiently steady. Many people seem to use monopods to good effect, but I'm not sure what problem the monopod solves. Any comments as to how monopds are best used would be appreciated.

Tony

2. Jeromy

Jeromy

Mar 19, 2008
    Utah
    I use my monopod to help hold up heavy weights, mostly shooting sports/action. It definatly is not for longer exposures. It would be a little better than hand held for them but not by much.

3. Micky

Micky

Feb 29, 2008
    Vermont
    Long lenses...

I use my monopods for the longer lenses when I shoot sports.

It definitely helps get sharper shots, especially when trying to follow action.

It also helps get the weight off my neck/body when at an event, even a 70-200 can get heavy after an hour or so.

There are instances (like at a concert or stage performance) where handholding at longer exposures is tough, at times I have used a monopod to help along with the VR and the keeper rate goes up.

Generally tripods are discouraged at events where they can block access, a monopod is extremely portable and usually folds up easily for transport and storage.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2008
  4. Use a monopod where there is so much pedestrian traffic, you would end up being a hazard if you used a tripod. Not only could someone trip over your tripod and sue you, your equipment would be at risk of a tumble as well.

5. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    This seems like a good idea and, as I have a 70-200, that does get heavy after a (short) while.

Thanks for the reply, Jeromy.

6. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Thanks for the reply, Miky. I can see now where a monopod would definitely help, particularly in those instances where camera system support is needed, but tripods are not feasible.

Tony

7. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    I hadn't thought of using a monopod for street shots, but I like the idea!

Thanks,

Tony

8. It may have been Jim Fenton shooting on a boardwalk at one of the FL rookeries when someone tripped over his tripod and his camera, 500mm and tripod took a major tumble.

9. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    But did he get any good photos on the way down?

10. argross

argross

May 22, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.