• Seldom

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Never

Votes: 6 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Real Name
Carl
I've had a Bogen monopod for many years, and have used it with a notable lack of success. Mostly, It resides under the bed among the dust bunnies, etc.

At first, I used the Bogen 3232 head with QR , which proved a bit awkward, then went to just the 'pod's attachment screw, and then, I tried it with an inexpen$ive Chicom head from eBay, then I bought a Vanguard ball head. None of the above provided much steadiness and lack of lens droop.

I have looked at Kirk and Really Right Stuff ball heads, as well as the Arca Swiss, which are beautiful, but frankly, if I could afford them, I'd rather put the $$$ toward a new lens.

I'd like to use it, due to its lightess, but, are there reasonably priced, reliable ball heads out there, or should I just return to schleppping my old cast iron (seems like) Bogen tripod with 3-axis nead, and sell the monopod?
Thanx

I use a tripod whenever possible. But, when shooting sports--I use a monopod all the time. And, the monopod comes in handy in tight, public environments where I don't want people tripping over tripod legs.

For me, a solid support system (tripod and ballhead) is a higher priority than another lens.

Glenn

I voted seldom, but occasionally is more accurate in my case. Now that I am doing more video I find the monopod essential for both my camcorder and DSLR. I just can't handhold video and a tripod won't work in most places I shoot. I also use my monopod when shooting with my 200 f2 and 300 f2.8 to support the weight. I can handhold them, but not for long. :smile:

I use the RRS MH-1 monopod head and it works very nicely.

I use a monopod regularly. I have the original Gitzo CF with the RRS MH-01 and a new RRS monopod with the RRS MH-02. Since my camera and telephotos have Arca Swiss plates, mounting is quick and easy. I find the anti-rotation legs an important feature for macro work, since you tend to adjust the height rather frequently.

If I can't use a tripod, I try to use a monopod. Handholding is never as steady, plus the camera with a 200/4 macro or 300/4 AF-S gets heavy.

The rules generally prohibit using anything more than a monopod from the sidelines of collegiate and professional sporting events. That said, a good monopod is absolutely critical when shooting big glass, and it's rare for me to cover a sporting event without a 400/2.8 or 600/4. I'll also use a monopod with a 300/2.8 when shooting basketball or indoor volleyball.

I have used Gitzo monopods for roughly 30 years. For many years, it was just the standard aluminum pods. In the last ten years, it's been the carbon fiber models. I have Wimberley quick-release clamps on all of my monopods, and have arca-type replacement feet on my big glass.

I use mine regularly. I don't take a tripod on hikes but almost always have my monopod which doubles nicely as a walking stick. It's especially useful with longer, bigger lenses.

I can see the usefulness of a monopod for sports photography, but I don't do that and find little use for them in what I do. I took a monopod long on my trip to South Africa last September, thinking it would be useful on game drives in safari vehicles. But I found that the cramped quarters on those vehicles made the monopod pretty useless, and I ended up using the door sill with a neck pillow for supporting my 300/4 and 1.4TC on a D7000. Worked much better.

I now have two monopods which I never use.

I have a monopod and voted “seldom”, but I really meant “almost never”. But then, I almost never shoot in tight quarters or in restricted areas with a long lens. For me, a cheap extra tripod that can serve as a speedlight stand and a remote for the camera are accessories that are more useful.

Wasn’t sure how to vote. I used to use my monopod a lot, but not so much these days. I only used it for supporting big glass for sports. I have used it for hiking up creeks and taking photos of water that one needs slower shutter speeds for, but generally, these days, since I’m winding down my sports shooting, it sits in the closet. I have never seen the need for a head on a monopod. If you want to shoot portrait mode with a light lens with no tripod collar, you could try an L-bracket.

I have a manfrotto I bought a few years ago, used it a handful of times. Just not worth enough for the hassle of selling it.

I use a tripod whenever possible. But, when shooting sports--I use a monopod all the time. And, the monopod comes in handy in tight, public environments where I don't want people tripping over tripod legs.

For me, a solid support system (tripod and ballhead) is a higher priority than another lens.

Glenn

my exact thoughts..
I guess it dates back to my medium format film days... :smile:

I have always lusted over a Gitzo GM5541 but mainly because it is a beautiful object and I know I would never really use it. When I had the a 300m f2.8 I had a cheap Manfrotto monopod but I never used that and would always prefer to hand hold or use a tripod if absolutely necessary. It would be a luxury item for me.

Real Name
Randy
don't confuse a monopods intended use w/ a tripod
a monopod is for holding a heavy camera/lens
a tripod is for reducing or eliminating camera movement

I use a monopod 100% of the time for a D4/400vr
I use a tripod 100% of the time for long exposures, especially for slowing water

Real Name
Randy
I have always lusted over a Gitzo GM5541 but mainly because it is a beautiful object and I know I would never really use it. When I had the a 300m f2.8 I had a cheap Manfrotto monopod but I never used that and would always prefer to hand hold or use a tripod if absolutely necessary. It would be a luxury item for me.

the 41 looked too fat so I went w/ the 31, which is a work of art that I have used alot over the years
stick an RRS MH-01 head on it and it is perfect for field sports

I've got a Slik monopod that I've had for over 20 years. I don't use it often, but it doesn't owe me any money, very handy to have at times. I'm taking it to Michigan International Speedway this Father's Day just in case.

Latest threads

Top Bottom