Monopod

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Russ Smith, Jul 19, 2005.

1. I am considering purchasing a monopod to use with my 200-400mm VR and D2X.

I am looking at one of these: GITZO G1578 L MK2 CARBON MONOPOD

Has anyone had any experience with this? If so what was your opinion?
    I received a Gitzo G1548GT for a retirement gift so I am familiar with their products.

Russ

2. I have no Gitzo, but I do have the world's cheapest monopod, and I think it's about 100 times better than nothing at all, but about 1/3 as good as a tripod. Now, to illustrate my newby status here, I'm going to attempt to imbed a picture of it. Will ask later how to do it...

http://www.pbase.com/arkie5700/image/45712176.jpg

3. Okay, that didn't work. Will read instructions and try again later. Got to go to a meeting now (I'm WORKING!)

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    David,

First, welcome to the Cafe. All you should have to do is highlight your image link and click the little 'Img' button above the message window.

It will look like this:

Code:
    [ATTACH=full]12275[/ATTACH]
    Hope this helps. :wink:

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    There are a couple of things about the Gitzo 1578 I don't think I would like, even setting aside the price tag. It's a 5-section monopod which means four twist-locks to deal with. I personally think these are a PITA so more is not better IMHO. More sections also means less stability to a certain extent. The max height also seems somewhat overkill and just means extra weight.

I have the Feisol CF monopod and think it's great, but my biggest lens is currently the 70-200VR. Having said that, I've loaded it up with the D70, 70-200VR and TC-17, plus RRS portrait perfect flash bracket and SB-800 and had no problems at all. The Feisol is rated for 15 lbs by the manufacturer, though how that relates to the 17lb rating of the Gitzo is hard to say since there I doubt there's any industry standard. It's hard to compare different models when they don't tell you things like tube diameter. The Gizto is heavier but I don't know if that's because of thicker tubing or the extra height (and extra leg lock).

Another option you might consider is the Giottos, they're rated for 33lb (!?) and have 32mm tubing versus 28mm on the Feisol. It's heavier than the Feisol, about the same as the Gitzo though again max height could be a factor here. It's availalbe in both 3- and 4-section models (I would tend towards the 3-section).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=318590&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...=318591&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
  7. Ahha

David,

First, welcome to the Cafe. All you should have to do is highlight your image link and click the little 'Img' button above the message window.

Thanks, Frank!

So, for a test...
    [​IMG]

8. I second that. I have one and it works well.

9. Re: Ahha

You missed the .jpg at the end of your link.

Code:
    [ATTACH=full]12276[/ATTACH]

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Ahha

David,

You left off the .jpg. :wink:

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Greg,

So you're quicker than me. :lol:

Very nice shot BTW David. 8)

12. Hi

I'm using a Manfrotto (Bogen) 680B. Its a bit on the heavy side with the ball head and quick release - but it does the job for me.

I go through phases of monopod or tripod - at the moment I'm in a tripod phase of mind.

13. If you get one make sure to get one that folds up nice and tidey!! :D :D :D

14. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    I have the Bogen/Manfrotto 694 - it's very sturdy and lightweight.

15. Thank you, patient ones, for allowing me to interrup this thread while learning the fine art of posting pictures here. I think I have it now, but will confirm with this...

16. linm

linm

May 3, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I have a Feisol carbon fibre. It is really light but sturdy. I've been so impressed with the Feisol that I am going to order a tripod from them,

17. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Scary David, very scary. :lol:

I think you've got it. :wink:

18. avalanche161

avalanche161

May 17, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Russ--- I would also recommend the Feisol----light, sturdy and an excellent price for CF.

19. Alan

Who sells Feisol in the USA?
    I checked eBay and it looks like you have to order from Taiwan.

Russ

20. I've used several different monopods, and found little difference in them. I prefer a tripod. I have seen some models that have a leg that you can remove and use as a monopod. Just don't remember model or manufacturer.