Monster Call

This is my nephew, young Mr. “B” (his nickname) and his father Matt. As every little boy knows full well, a “didgeridoo” is actually a monster call no matter how many times grownups tell you otherwise :twisted: . This is the mental picture I had when Matt played his didgeridoo for Mr. “B”. I would have liked a wider lens for this shot but I had to make do with the kit lens at 18mm. The weird-angled ceilings in this house made bouncing the flash impossible so I used the diffusion dome to soften the light (SB-800) and photoshoped out the horrible shadows created from the required low angle. The background also included both color and element distractions that I selectively blurred and desaturated. I emphasized Mr. B’s wide-open-looking-for-the-monster eyes with some whitening and much sharpening. And as the final subtle (like a sledgehammer) touch I embossed the neck of the didgeridoo.

D70, kit lens, 1/80 sec, f4.5, 56mm, 200iso, SB-800 iTTL with diffusion dome
original.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's a great capture, Tom. As much as I try to view the entire image, my eyes definately gravitate to the young boy's face. Fascinating!

Thos,

A very nice picture. I love the little guy's expression.

I was going to ask how "didgeridoo" that? But glad you explained it.

J/K

Kevin & Frank; yes, little Mr. Bs face is what makes this shot. I think maybe he did see one coming.

As for you Ray; "how didgeridoo that"....
downbeat, cymbals and cue in the moans and groans from the audience.

Thanks for looking.

SRA

Your depth of field, soft focus, sharp focus, saturation and de-saturation are great.

I have looked at this image several times and never quite know what to say. It's an unusual picture for sure with all sorts of things going on photographically; e.g., DOF, focus point, desaturation, saturation, perspective elongated, etc. I like it if for no other reason than it make you look and think. Of course the little boy is cute as can be and his expression is priceless.

Latest threads

Top Bottom