1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Monster Miata

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by PhotogWannabe, Jul 21, 2008.

1. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Here's a picture of my friend with his monster Miata during a track day on Sunday...

2687484427_6dc77bc304_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My first try at taking racing photos.

a couple more...

2689415573_02d62ef6ed_o.png
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 225218

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2008
  2. LDB415

LDB415

Apr 26, 2008
    Texas
    Do you have a shot of the engine? What about it makes it a "monster" Miata? It's certainly a pretty car.

3. i'd like to know more about that car as well
    i like the color
    nice shots

4. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    Looks like this Miata is outfit with a 5.0 (302) Mustang fuel injection engine. I guess you can call that a monster.

Did I get it right??

5. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    I don't know the whole story; in general though, it goes like this. Back in 1989/90 when Miatas were first introduced there was a person in the States who thought that they needed a bit more power. In stock form they came with a screaming 116 hp at the crank (or thereabouts.) The idea was to see if a 5.0 from a Mustang would fit in the engine bay. It did and Monster Motorsports was begun. A fellow on Vancouver Island licenced the process and built 9 models - this is #3 built by Cardiac Performance. In general, now, any Miata with a V8 transplant is called a monster Miata. This particular one has a 5.0 litre Mustang engine and is painted candy apple red and, hopefully, I haven't mangled the facts too badly.

6. I loved my '95 Miata; had it for 9 years. Only problem was useless in the snow and icy winters in DC and the exhaust on the beltway in the Summer. After I bought it I took my eldest grand daughter for a ride from church with the top down. After sitting quitely enjoying the wind and sun she turned to me and asked...."Grandpa, when you die can I have this car?" :Shocked:

I think that was a compliment. :wink:

7. PhotogWannabe

PhotogWannabe

Mar 19, 2007
    BC
    Definitely a compliment, Rich. I don't know how much snow DC gets but out here Miatas are great fun in the snow. The only catch - four snows is a must. Then it'll go anywhere until it gets too deep and you start snowplowing with the front. That's no fun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.